can anyone tell me what their leg weakness presented like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennibf

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
AL
City
Centreville
Last night I tried to take my six year old trick or treating. I ended up turning around and going back and my husband had to finish it. :(

Basically when I get up from standing, walk for a long time (like around a large store) or go up the stairs, my left leg is just refusing to cooperate, straighten, etc.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how their first sign of leg weakness presented? Nothing has been as scary as this has been. When I walk slowly I can walk normally but it is very slow.

If I walk for too long, or try to walk too fast, my leg will feel heavy and trembly. The bottom of my foot will scuff the ground. Fast walking produces a sensation like that of trying to jog without stretching...kind of burning feeling in the calf. At the end of the day, or earlier if I over do it, I have to pull myself up the stairs. It is too much to lift myself up by legs alone. Lately, my knee buckles backwards. Ouch!

Sorry about you missing the rest of Halloween. I loved it when my kids were little!

Lydia

Thank you, Lydia. Have they ruled out ALS for you? I really do not have much of the burning feeling UNTIL I sit down and then they burn like h*ll sometimes. My feet were dragging a bit on the sidewalk. That is me exactly at the end of the day, especially dragging up the stairs and that is the only time my legs feel heavy really, is going up the stairs.

Thank you again for responding!

My burning stops immediately if I stop walking. Then I continue, just slower.

I had a clean EMG on the left side in August, so no LMN issues, so no ALS. Taking my b12 and waiting for it to work. Heard it takes a while.

Lydia

Hi,
Mine started when I tried to get up off the couch, going up the stairs (stiff feeling), squating and not been able to get up. When I was walking(normally) it was like I slowed right down. I was in the airport going to work and almost missed my flight. My gait got wider. And when I do walk (in the home only) I now flop side to side and inch by inch. I walk to the washrooom now takes me about 10 min. I do get trembling legs when the day moves on.

I didn't recognize it as weakness at first. My walk was a little "different" and my wife had to walk a little slower than normal to stay beside me. After this continued for a while I got to thinkin' about it, and realized I could not push off with my right toe when I stepped forward. Apparently my calf muscle was too weak to push my toes down.

Anyway, for me, that was my first symptom of weakness.

-Tom

leg weakness

Rick's has been staggering for years... sometimes more, sometimes less. A year ago
we noticed marked differences in the size of his two calves, and the start of clonus, in
his big toes. One toe moves up and down to a rythym, and the other keeps the beat. He hangs on sometimes while he walks, and just wears wider shoes to give his toes room to do their thing. Rick does all his activities as usual.... we just have to reassure people he
doesn't drink. For now, he still drives, joins the Elks and our church in their activities, and walks everywhere he wants to go...... but with a difference. M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back