Are EMGs painful

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it uncomfortable. It is like your mind expects it to be painful but it is not. The one part that was painful for me, was the one on my back. It hurt and I had a hard time relaxing and was tense so the machine made noise but when relaxed it was fine. I thought it was uncomfortable when the needle was in and the ask you to recruit your muscle. My bad calf was sore for after. I thought the ncv was worse, it felt like hitting your funny bone.

pain or no pain, get one. My next one I want on my face and tongue....ouch.

Let's put it this way. It's no picnic. It's not as bad as childbirth my wife tells me. It's kind of like acupuncture if you've ever had that. It's not as bad as having a tooth filled. Some people think it hurts like a bugger. Some think it isn't that bad. If I kick you in the shins and kick your brother. Who has the most pain? It's a subjective thing. Your pain is a subjective thing. It can also depend on the person giving the test.
AL.

It wasn't as bad as I expected, but I was glad when it was over. On a pain scale of 1 to 10, I'd put it at 3 or 4.

Good luck!

I agree with Al. Some people say it doesnt hurt, but it hurt more than I expected it to. I had great difficulty relaxing the muscles as well. I usually tolerate pain well.

I rate it a 2-3 on the pain scale. A full blown migraine is a 4. childbirth an 8 , and a bladder spasm follwing a hysterectomy a 10.... I punched the roof of our car all the way to the ER to get my bladder drained. TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

This was teeth clenching type pain.

Hope that helped.

Thank you! I think I can handle up to a five on a pain scale. I've had to give myself intra-muscular shots of progesterone before, in my thigh. That was back in May and my muscle in that thigh STILL feels slightly bruised but I sucked it up and did it. I am so NOT wanting to go through these tests but want answers.

Thank you again and again and again! Regardless of whatever it ends up I have, whether benign or what, I will never forget how helpful you all have been and I will continually lift you up in prayer, although I am not super religious. I am certainly becoming more spiritual as I face this...this...indefinite medical issue.

I just had one done A few days ago, my first one. It was uncomfortable but not painful UNTIL they did under my chin. That was painful. I have a fairly high tolerance to pain. But what made it worse for me is not knowing what to expect, you aleady have a heads up by being on the forum.

Betty

My son had one a few weeks ago. The only area he had trouble with was the tongue area and only because he was unable to relax for that one and not from pain. He put the overall pain level at about a 3. His muscles were uncomfortable for a day or so afterwards, but not enough to prevent him from his daily activities.

We had never heard of an EMG prior to my son's appointment. Wanting to feel a bit prepared, we found some you tube vids on the procedure which was helpful-even found an almost funny one...

I dont think it is to bad. I think it hurts less than giving blood or getting a shot. Thats just me though.

My first one, the NCV hurt more than the muscle part.... My second hurt but not bad, my third hurt like a b----tch! It hurts so bad i was hollering and laughing at myself all at the same time. When my techs boss came in to look at the screen for a minute, he said.. I bet you didnt know we were a chamber of torture! The needle he used in the last one was a thick one and he had to go down to a pediatric needle..... I kept saying, oh yes please give me the baby needle! It was a yowser kind of pain that goes away as soon as they stop wiggling the darn thing... But my other ones were not bad, the shock from the ncv hurt more...... Good luck, Sam

Jenni,

The EMG is done with an itty, bitty needle. I'd like to say I hardly felt a thing but in contrast, the guy in the next room was screaming his head off.:-D

Oh, you should have heard this guy when he was getting juiced with the NCV exam! Wow. He was threatening to grab the electrodes and juice the NCV tech with them!

I believe the guy was just a big pansy. So, disregard any comments about any of this being painful. Have you ever stuck yourself with a sowing needle? (I hate to admit I sow...). Same kind of prickly feeling. To me, it only hurt when they jiggled the needle deep in my muscle tissue.

Hey, I took it well (so they said...)

If you are administered the NCV, just shout, "I'M ALIVE! I"M ALIVE!" when they hit you with the high voltage. The audience will get a real kick out of it! Trust me!

Zaphoon

Being a pussy when it comes to needles , I have to say it is no worse than acupuncture.
Blood tests are worse.

The tests with the "tazer like" shocker were ok, right up until the moment she said "we are going to increase it, it might hurt" . The pain did not linger, only at time of the zap. Good thing the lady was a easy to look at. :wink:

Like was said above , go into the session with a sense of humor and it will be a lot easier. "Oh baby, DO THAT AGAIN !"

hmmm. interesting. maybe there really IS something different going on with my muscles.
Shots and lab draws I feel the tiny stick- and wouldn't call that pain worth rating on a scale.

The emg portion to me was painful,especially when they tried to get me to relax the muscles.

I know its not because i'm a wuss.

I once cut the bottom of my big toe- right where it attaches while getting out of a lake with a slate rock bottom. That hurt like the dickens -45 min trip to the ER. But after they numbed it and sewed it back up- I finished the camping trip.

Cindy

As a self-proclaimed 22 year old 'weenie' when it comes to pokes, sticks, and prods from doctors (especially the dentist...YIKE!)..

the ncv/emg needle feels like a mosquitoe bite at most and the only feeling i remember is pressure in the muscle.

maybe my next one on monday 20th will be different, but as far as pain is concerned..nothing to write home about in my opinion. However everyone probably has a different tolerance so hopefully it wasnt too bad for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back