State: ontario
Interest: Other
david3 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: toronto
Default please reply! - ALS - tongue symptoms?

I also had a question about balbar als and tongue fasciliations..

I have really bad anxiety and am constantly analyzing myself for little things...I have wide spread twitching, tingling etc. (not severe) - doctors say its anxiety

i noticed that when i stick my tongue out or open my mouth and look inside it has a little bit of a twitchy quiver to it. however i dont think it is actual twitches because i cant feel anything at all, its just when i looked for it

I have no weakness in my tongue, i can tent my cheeks, move the tongue back and forward really fast and everything, no trouble swallowing

i asked my sister to see if her tongue does the same thing and it looks like it does, i just think that mine might be a bit worse

does this sound als related at all? i have read a lot that most peoples tongues have natural quivery/twitchy movement to them when stuck out

and i can kind of see sometimes when i just open my mouth and dont stick my tongue out fully? is this weird? once again i CANNOT feel ANY twitches inside my mouth...i only noticed because i looked for this.

what would balbar als symptoms be like? would the twitching be much more pronounced? with weakness first? i dont have an atrophy either. - just that quivery/twitchy kinda thing i described.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 AM #2 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

i forgot to ad I AM ONLY 22 - female
and i have a clean brain mri
Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
olly is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: uk
State: uk
Diagnosed: 11/2007
olly is on a distinguished road

sounds like anxiety to me.
bulbar als does not suddenly start with tongue twitching,which most people dont feel.
it begins with weakness of some kind like changes in speech,swollowing and chewing.
i have mnd and started with bulbar symptoms about 2yrs ago,slurred speech when tired or problems pronouncing words. slight swollowing problems but mainly its my jaw and chewing muscles were i have spasms and weakness.
i did notice tongue fasic,s a short while back when my symptoms were bad and got very anxious about this.
now i dont look at my tongue anymore,if they are there so be it.
ask your doctor for some anxiety meds and see if they help.
take good care.
caroline
Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Los Angeles
State: California
Diagnosed: 05/2008
BethU is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Los Angeles
State: California
Diagnosed: 05/2008
BethU is on a distinguished road

This is not an ALS symptom. "Benign" twitching is very common, in the tongue or elsewhere. ALS is very rare. There are problably 10,000 people with benign twitching for every 1 with ALS. (I just made those figures up.)

Twitching is NOT the big issue with ALS ... weakness and atrophy are. Believe me, if you had ALS, twitching would be the least of your worries.

Hope this helps,
BethU
Old 09-29-2008, 01:01 PM #5 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Al is on a distinguished road
Forum Moderator

City: NW of Toronto
State: On
Diagnosed: 10/2003
Al is on a distinguished road

Trouble speaking and swallowing are generally first signs of bulbar involvement. I do not want you to come on here in 2 days saying that you have that. First twitching calves now twitching tongue. I think you need to have a talk with the doc about anxiety.

AL.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als symptoms, anxiety, atrophy, back, movement, natural, symptoms, symptoms?, tongue, twitches, twitching, weakness