Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Oaktown
Hi. I posted recently about some muscle weakness I was having. Got it checked out and calmed my fears. However, recently, a colleague of mine has been complaining about biting his tongue alot, to the point of like 10-20 times a day. Of course, he googled symptoms and eventually came across ALS. He is very worried. I asked him how his speech was (he said fine; I am trying to calm him!) or if he was having any other difficulties such as swallowing or hoarseness in his voice. He said no. Does the biting of the tongue sound like it could be something serious like ALS, if there is no slurring of speech or hoarseness (I have come to learn that ALS is different for everyone as I read posts, but slurring of speech seems to be a tell-tale of bulbar ALS)? He said he has been having the symptoms for about a week. If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Ballboy

Hi, Ballboy ... I've never heard of biting the tongue as a first symptom of bulbar ALS. With me it started with slurred speech, then many months later, I began having trouble swallowing, etc. I think mine was a normal progression, although I'm sure it can start with other sequences.

Probably some ALS patients may eventually bite their tongues as the disease progresses over months (or years!) and it becomes difficult to move the tongue ...

Since it's just been happening for a week, I really wouldn't worry about ALS! If it persists, he might want to check with a dentist. There could be something going on with a tooth, or perhaps his bite is off and needs some adjustment.

Take care,
BethU

Thank you!

BethU,

Thank you for the information. You will be in my prayers. God Bless!

Ballboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back