Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
OR
City
Portland
I'm sure you're all sick of people like me. I looked through about 15 pages of threads but I didn't find anyone whose symptoms sound quite like mine, so here goes. You're all so kind and knowledgeable, and patient I thought I'd ask for your opinions.

Several months ago I noticed I was feeling tired. All the time. I've never been terribly energetic, so I thought it was a bit of ASD from the long rainy winter we had, the kids wearing me down, etc. Although I didn't feel particularly stressed or anxious about anything. Then I noticed a weakness in my legs. I didn't stumble or trip, I just kind of felt weak in the knees and just didn't want to move around much. One day my left eye started twitching. I've never been a twitcher, but it twitched a lot for a couple of weeks. Then sometimes my right eye or lip would twitch. I decided to go to the Dr. and was borderline for hypothyroid. My levels were just outside the normal range, but they had changed by by about 25% in 6 months. He also did a CK test which was fine (43) and something for inflamation which he said would indicate arthritis. That was also normal. I started taking medication for my thyroid and within a couple of weeks I could see improvement. I still didn't feel normal, but better. After 2 months my dose was increased and a couple of weeks after that (about 2 weeks ago) I started having muscle pains.

At first it was just in my legs (calves and thighs). Now it's also in my neck, arms and hands. I don't think I would describe it as a weakness, but tired and very sore. Like I did way too much exercise and my muscles are stiff and aching. Except I haven't done any exercise. I've tried taking ibuprofen and tylenol but they don't help. the twitching has been better, but I'll still have the occasional twitch in either my eye, lip or a leg. I know that hypothyroid can cause a lot of these symptoms, but it seems odd to me that they would get worse on medication, especially when they weren't that much out of whack to begin with. Of course I'm thinking the worst.

So, let me have it. Hopefully you'll tell me I'm a hypochondriac and to stop bothering people with real problems.

Oh, and just to make everything more complicated I found out a few days ago I'm pregnant with out third child. I'm very excited, but also a bit nervous that this will make figuring out what's wrong with me more difficult. I'm going to be feeling more and more tired now regardless.

Hi Amy. When my wife's thyroid went out of whack it took nearly a year to get her dose just right. Being newly pregnant can throw off hormone levels. I'd be thinking in that direction.

AL.

I agree with AL.When my thyroid went it took upwards of a year before I started to get my energy back. Muscle weakness was not a problem. My experience with ALS is you don't have weakness until you experience some atrophy of the muscle in question. So you will notice atrophy before any weakness

Thank you both for responding. I saw the Dr. today and he switched my meds and wants to wait 8 weeks and see what happens. Man, my calves are killing me today. Almost a burning now.

twiching in your eye or lip is very normal! And fatigue is normal from time to time. Your thyriod is on the fritz and your pregnant, that is the issue. The pregnancy could make your thyroid problem worse, so make sure you talk with your ob.

congratulations on your 3rd! I had my 3rd in November. She is a God send! Focus on that. It does not sound like als at all. If things get worse you could have a emg to ease your mind and enjoy your newest blessing!

bless you and dont go to als so quickly!

april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back