Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Rochester
Hello
I am a 41 year old male, present with weekness on left side and fasiculations. At this time I have LMN signs only. My question is when you have ALS does it take time for the UMN signs to develop, or do you see that early on. They have rulled out every thing else, through blood work, and MRI, and are now going to do the lumbar puncture. There is no eveidence of mmn in the blood work, but want to try a treatment just to be safe. Dr says he is confused, because weekness is very focal, usually in ALS it is a little more (whole are instead if just part of the arm) So again my question, is does ALS start with LMN signs then progress to UMN signs at a later time, or do you have UMN signs early on?
Thanks

LMN vs. UMN

Just about all symptoms are different for diferent people. Personally, mine started with LMN and gradually worked up over about a two year period. But there again, almost everybody is different. Mine also started in both legs at the same time. As it progressed upward it became evident in both hands at the same time. I was really a little weaker on my left side but symptoms were the same on both sides.
Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back