Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fair Oaks
I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me,

My calves have been atrophing for about 4 months now. They started with twitching and cramping and now they are smaller than they used to be. I also noticed that there are dents in them. The dents are in the shin area on the front of legs. Mainly noticealbe when I flex them. Both seem to be affected about the same. I do not notice any unusal weakness though. I am still able to exercise but I do notice extra twitching afterwards.

I have not had any kind of foot drop or any unusal gait either. But this all comes after one year of atrophy in my hand.

Another question, if my emg a couple of months ago only showed denervation in my arm would that mean I need to have another emg for legs? Even though I had some nerve damage (i guess) in my arm with the emg, the doctor said I did not have als. But what could be causing all of this and does it still sound like I may have als based on new symtoms?

Thanks for your answers in advance
Robin

Robin,

I am going throught the same thing, I don't know if you always looked at your shins in the flexed position.
I guess I didn't because because I seen dents also when in the flexed position. I asked my husband to flex
his leg and he had the same thing. Try too compare it to someone else. You said there is no weakness there which is a very good sign. I beleive where my dents are its the fascia inbetween the 2 muscles and has probably always been there.
I just never overlooked my body with a fine tooth comb before all of this. but try to ask someone to flex thier leg and see if it looks like yours.

Thanks Crystal,
Thanks for the reply. I did ask people to flex and my calves and the separation in the muscle was much more significant in my calves. I have been noticeing it for about 3 months. I do not have any trouble walking though....thank god. I have also been noticing a creepy crawly feeling in some muscles and I did read someone here said something about feeling like ice water on them, I feel that too sometimes. I have been trying to work out, but it seems like no matter what i do I cannot beat this muscle relaxing. They are not responding the way they used to. Very discouraging. But I am thankful, so thankful I have use of my hands and legs....

Pictures of calves

I have had another month to atrophy..here are pictures of my calfs. Let me know if you think it looks strange. My calves used to be much bigger. The inside calf muscle is mainly the ones to atrophy. The strange thing is it is happening to both at the same time. They have the feeling of tingling and there is a strange creepy crawly feeling. Is that sensory nerves that would not normally be als? Thanks for any input.

Whoops

Sorry you need to go to my profile to see the pictures.

calves

HI Happy

I have been having thinning of my calves also. ALthough, I have a notable dent on the outside of my ankle.

Your photo looks fine. alot of thinner people have that dent on the side. I have alot of thinning around the knee, and the tendon behind my knee is more prominent. It has also made my thigh smaller. I have stretch marks on the back of my calves! my feet are thinner. I have atrophy in my hands, more on right. I can use them but they will ache.

The hand that has your atrophy, does it ache after you use it?

take care

april

Hi April,
Yes it does ache after use, It has been really bad lately. I notice that my calves are having this strange sensation in them. I can only describe it as a strange feeling like a light touch sensation. And a lot of times it feelos like the begining of a cramp. I can see the calves disappearing. It is actually the gastracnemous muscle that is almost gone.

Thanks for looking at my picture to see what i am talking about. I keep up the good fight.
Talk to you all soon
Robin

I added more fun pictures, come see

I was able to add some of the pictures that i have been taking since getting my new camera. These are pictures of my children and some of the fun ones I take of things I love.

robin!

I get the feeling of a begining of cramp but no cramp also. Mainly in my feet and one calve.
nice photos!

happy,

Would you mind posting a couple of the calf pics on the post? For some reason it won't let me access your profile to see the pics, it says I don't have permission for some reason.

I have just begun to notice a large dimple in my left leg. I have had fasciculations all over and cramping in my legs for about 5 months. I would like to see your pics for comparison. Thanks.

Justin,

You need to have so many posts before you can access certain things for security purposes.
pictures, private messages, etc. I believe it might be 15, but don't quote me on that.
Captain AL or Cindy can give you more details.

Oh, OK, thanks. I was wondering why I wasn't allowed to access anything!

Keep at it, Justin. We don't like to say how many posts you need because the people who try to take over a board with spam and advertisements will then circumvent our system that filters them out. Your privileges will kick in soon, I promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back