Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
philadelphia
I'm a 27 year old male who is an admitted hypochondriac to a small degree. About 3 months ago I went to the GP for lower back pain. The pain seemed to be worse when sitting but xrays were normal. I returned two weeks ago with same back pain problem and leg twitches in the calf muscles of both legs. These twitches seem more prominent (or at least i feel them more) when I'm sitting down. I've had these twitches for about a month all together. GP ordered blood work and all came back normal (TSH levels, lyme titer). He advised to lay off the caffeine. I don't perceive any weakness, I can walk on my toes and my heels, although i feel pain in my back with the latter. I have a neuro appointment in a few weeks to hopefully get to teh bottom of this.

Can a lower back injury cause muscle twitches?

Yes it can Science. Caffeine, stress, anxiety and about a dozen other things can too. I'd try to not worry until after seeing the Neuro.
AL.

Last edited:
Hello Science

Something very similar happens to me when I sit. I have been a weightlifter for nearly 20 years and my lower back has been put through the ringer. Your neuro will most likely order an MRI. It could be a disc issue or it might not be. If the MRI doesn't show too much then the problem could be in nerves more peripheral than the spinal roots, so they'd have to do an MRI of your lower back and glutes (tight glutes are notorious for causing leg problems by the way). They probably won't actually do another MRI and just more or less monitor you and put you through some physical therapy.
Do you have any pain or odd feelings or sensations in your glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves, feet, etc.? Not a big deal if you don't . . . just wondering.
Please keep us informed. I am actually curious as to what they find. As Al said, I would relax and wait for your appointment. It doesn't sound very worriesome to me. Take care.

P.S. I have been diagnosed with a certain type of peripheral neuropathy (mononeuritis multiplex), so I don't have ALS. I just thought it was important for me to tell you that.

Science

Science, with a name like that you should be teaching us a thing or two! Wright is right about this one, very normal part of aging or wear and tear. Do you ever experience numbness or tingling, do your feet fall asleep easily? Ever heard of Sciatica? Be prepared to have tests and those be normal..... A lot of symptoms like that, that are due to wear and tear are not significant enough to show abnormalilties and that is a good sign. My husband has babinski reflex and when he sleeps his foot and hand jerk upwards, he also is a carpenter that halls shingles and has had more back injuries than anyone i know... He had a back MRI and it was normal! I am surprised you are being sent to a neuro, usually you would be sent to an orthopedic doc or chiropractor. Why did your GP refer you to neurology? I could see if you had an MRI that showed spinal cord compression or had signs of a neurological disorder..... Just wondering and Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back