Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AR
City
Little Rock
I'll try to keep this short. 4 years ago I started to have numbness, tinling in my left foot when running which would stop when I stopped. I also had some slight numbness sometime in my left hand around my pinky and ring finger and side of the hand along with a very subtle numbness in my cheek which was not there 99.9% of the time. I went to Neuro he ran test (MRI, Spinal tap c5 - c7 showed severe cervical disk degeneration CDD) and blood normal. Went to a Podiatrist and he said I had morton's neuroma. Fast forward Dec 07. Started taking BP med and Cholesterol med and noticed twitching in my leg, quit meds and all symptons stopped so my PCP provider switched meds and restarted on 1/15/08 and quit all meds again 4/26/08. My feet were really going numb more often even if not walking and so went back to Neuro in May 08. Before I could see him I started to have muscle spasms in my feet, Sometimes my calves tingle all the way up to my knee, Restart of calf twitching, Weakness in both arms, both hands tingle, thumb hurts sometimes, slight numbness in my cheek and tingling tongue along with an occasional twitch in other parts of my body including eye lids which only last a few seconds. No problems eating, talking, or with leg or arm strength. Neuro specifically said I did not have ALS but I am almost paniced over this. He thinks I have CDD and PN. It is odd they would both decide to attack me at the same time. I still work out aggressively on a recumbent bike but have not ran for several weeks now and May never again. All diabetes test are on the border of being pre diabetic but I have no other symtoms. Does this sould like ALS or have any of you experienced these symptoms.

Hello tee5

If your doc thinks you have a radiculopathy (impingement on your cervical spinal roots) causing your arm symptoms and peripheral neuropathy causing your feet and leg problems, then he should do an EMG to confirm it. Your MRI indicates the radiculopathy and your podiatrist diagnosed you with nerve impingement in your foot, so chances are your neuro is correct. Your symptoms really don't sound like ALS, especially considering you don't have any weakness or atrophy after 4 years . . . but no one on here can tell you that for certain. Ask your neuro for the EMG and then believe what he/she says in regards to your diagnosis. In the meantime, try to remain calm and don't jump to any conclusions; self-diagnosis almost always, needlessly leads to a very dark place. Take care.

Thanks Wright. I have never posted to ANY forum in the past so your response is very much appreciated and it helps me calm down. I am to see Neuro soon and he is to run EMG on legs as he ran EMG 4 years ago on legs as well. He ran EMG on arms in Dec 07 when one of my arms really ached for several days with no reason. I did mis state in that he did not think I had PN on last visit but does not how else to explain leg twitching and foot tingle and numbness along with foot cramping/spasm.

The only thing I forgot to mention was that while my thumbs hurt it is the Thumb muscle in the palm of my right hand sometime my left that really hurts and it appears to be getting worse every day. I have started taking B12, Folic Acid and Calcium/Magnesium vitamins to see if that helps.

Does anyone know about Quinine Tablets OR a vitamin COQ10. thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back