Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fair Oaks
I was wondering if anyone knows about Parsonage Turner Syndrom? My neurologist diagnosed me with it. My EMG was unremarkable, CSF fluid normal, blood normal. However in the last month along with the atrophy I was having in my hand I have noticed increased twitching mostly on same side as atrophy along with cramping up of muscles..random cramps from neck to calf. the atrophy has increased up the arm to the bicep and tricept. Also, my neck feels like there is a knot in it and the muscles feel weak. I am still really tired all the time. I don't know I am just wondering if I should have another emg based on the fact that my facis have increased quit a bit in the last month. It's been a really slow progression. I also notice that I have little to no exercise endurance....My doctor when he did my NC test said there was abnormailties in the ulnar nerve..does anyone have any ideas. I guess i am still searching.
Thanks again
Robin :?:?

Didn't I tell you that you had Parsonage-Turner Syndrome. :-D
Good news and bad news: good news is that it is not life-threatening at all. Bad news: there is no treatment for it. You just have to be patient and wait to heal.
There isn't a whole lot known about it because it is rare . . . and again . . . it is not life-threatening. It is thought that it is most likely an autoimmune disorder that affects peripheral nerves, most commonly the peripheral nerves of the brachial plexus (that is a plexus of nerves that innervate muscles of the arm and some torso muscles as well).

It goes by a few other names by the way: brachial neuritis and neuralgic amyotrophy and a few others that I can't seem to recall at the moment.

P.S. What kind of abnormality in the ulnar nerve? I bet you had a diminished sensory nerve action potential . . . further proof that it is Parsonage-Turner and not something like ALS. Sensory nerves can be affected with Parsonage-Turner . . . unlike ALS. I hope you're now able to relax a bit.

Thanks, Wright! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back