Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Provo
State: Utah
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
JeremyK is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Help would be much appreciated

Thank you for allowing me to ask a question to the community. I've read the "important" highlighted posts, and found them well written and helpful.

In January, I started to experience random "hypnic jerks" while drifting off to sleep. In February, they became so severe that I couldn't sleep for a few days. Every time I was about to fall asleep I would be jolted awake.

In this tortured state (please forgive me) I checked with Dr. Google.

Fear/anxiety cycle started, along with daytime fasciculations, more nighttime twitching in random locations, and most troubling to me, I recently noticed a very twitchy tongue with white spots, and what looks like lesions or atrophy or perhaps geographic tongue. My tongue twitches/bubbles a lot; seen but not felt.

I would be most grateful if you would answer a few questions for me:

(1) Tongue worries we most. On the sticky it say's atrophy is a frequent early symptom, generally speaking. But when speaking of the tongue, the community say's that if you can speak/swallow you don't have tongue atrophy. Can you clarify for me? If I can speak, swallow, etc, should I stop worrying about a strange looking, twitchy tongue in terms of ALS?

(2) Hypnic jerks as onset symptom?

(3) 6% weight loss in one month? Increased spasticity?

(4) Anything else I should consider?

I plan to see a neuro in two weeks. Thanks in advance for any guidance. You're generous folks.
JeremyK is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 04:49 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help would be much appreciated

White spots on the tongue are a primary care issue. The family practitioner or internist can also look at your twitches. The two together could even be down to a new-onset food allergy, sensitivity to something acidic, or an infection.

No, if you can move your tongue normally, there's no reason to suspect nerve damage.

The jerking around sleep suggests evaluation for RLS/PLMD, which a PCP or neuro can do also. They can also order a sleep study if needed.

Weight loss can relate to pure worry, as can perceived "increased spasticity," so there's not much to hang our hat on there -- all good.

You haven't described anything that leads me to worry about ALS.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
JeremyK (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 05:53 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you very much. So would the tongue stop functioning correctly and then start twitching/bubbling in ALS?
Old 04-13-2019, 06:31 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

People would not be able to understand what you are saying. They would think you were drunk.

Best of luck with your primary care. Forget about twitching. That can be from anxiety or lack of sleep or even nothing.

Nothing you posted suggests any type of neurological disease.
KimT is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
JeremyK (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:25 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you for taking the time to ease my concerns.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 PM #6 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold

Atrophy anywhere on your body comes after loss of function. So if everything still works what you could be seeing is normal asymmetry. Lacking anything that doesn't work, things are looking good for you. As far as white spots on your tongue, think thrush. As long as you are in Utah, order me a Polygamy Porter, why stop at one.
Vincent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote