Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
KS
City
Manhattan
Hello and thanks in advance for reading this and giving me some direction.

I went to my PCP due to muscle twitching. At first, it was all over twitching. Now it seems more centralized, as in the sides of both calves, the back of my thighs, top and bottom of my foot. There are times I will feel twitching happen in the same spot on both sides, at the same time. On occasion, I will have a few in my arm area and near my shoulder blades on my back and near my buttocks. Mostly they are in my legs and around both knees. I wasn’t as worried when they were all over but now that they seem to have settled, I am more worried.

My PCP did a physical, basic neuro exam, and blood work. The only think that my blood work showed was that I was low in vitamin D. She said my strength was fine and so were my reflexes. At one point, I had a brisk reflex but the next time she checked it, it was ok. She had to keep telling me to relax!

She told me she could refer me to a neurologist if I wanted or she could put me on a nerve medicine. I said I would see a neurologist if she felt it was necessary and that I didn’t feel comfortable taking a nerve medicine when I still didn’t know what the cause of the twitching was. I said I didn’t want to go through unnecessary tests if it wasn’t necessary. She felt comfortable waiting to see if the twitching went away on its own. The twitching decreased for a few days, but has now started up again. It’s especially prevelant when I’m lying down or just sitting around.

The reason I finally posted was because yesterday I noticed my left calf (inside area) definitely is smaller than my right calf. I know that can be normal, but I hadn’t noticed it before and I’ve definitely been on the look out. My doctor did not look me over, as I was still fully dressed.

Would my PCP notice a loss of strength, if I had any? If I have atrophy, would I already be unable to do things? I can still toe walk, heel walk, jump up and down on toes, stand up from a sitting position on one leg, walk with my heels to toe (but a bit wobbly), etc. I can still do all those things, even though that one leg is wobbly compared to my dominate leg.

Should I trust my PCP exam and try to forget about the possibility of ALS? Or should I go ahead and request a neurologist exam? Would a neuro be more qualified to test my strength, etc? Does any of this sound like possible ALS?

Thank you for your opinions. They are very valued.

I forgot to attach these photos. I know atrophy can’t be diagnosed over a picture, but opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• BA1155B6-C24C-4D14-A369-343203AFA1E6.jpg
    BA1155B6-C24C-4D14-A369-343203AFA1E6.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 385
  • 523382F3-CF0A-4EF6-8928-B1AE3135C757.jpg
    523382F3-CF0A-4EF6-8928-B1AE3135C757.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 323
The title of your thread is “Should I be worried?”

The answer is “no”.

In your opinion, should I have a neuro exam done from an actual neurologist or is the one I had from doctor the same? I feel weird posting pictures, but does my leg look like what a person would see with atrophy? Or at the least, something I should call and show my doctor about tomorrow? Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. It’s very kind of you.

Nothing in your post suggests ALS. Only a doctor examining you can tell if there is atrophy. Since you’re seeing a doctor tomorrow, you could mention the areas you’re concerned about and get their opinion.

Since your PCP found normal strength and reflexes, further evaluation for ALS is not indicated. Your pcp will decide if you should see a neurologist, but from your post, it doesn’t sound like it.

Thank you, Karen. I don’t actually have an appointment tomorrow, but I was going to call and discuss, if needed. Thank you for your opinion. I thought maybe the twitching could be related to anxiety or something but when I noticed my calf, I knew I wasn’t imagining things and that’s when I became worried. I will follow up with my doctor. Thank you.

Oops! There was one more thing I wanted to ask about, because I didn’t get a very clear indication from my doctor, but I could always ask again. Sometimes in the back and the front of my thighs, both legs, I get more than just twitching but actually some vibrating/shaking/quivering going on. This is normally at rest or right after I’ve stopped an activity. Is that anything that I should worry about or that might be more symptomatic of ALS?
I appreciate being allowed to ask one more question. If you do not have time to answer, I completely understand. Thank you for the opportunity.

Hello, and I apologize for another question. I have noticed some strange intentions but they are in both of my hands, and the same spot. I’ve never noticed this before. Would muscle wasting present that way? If so, I will make an appointment to see my doctor. Just wanted the opinion of people who know probably even more than mybdoctor does about ALS..

Attachments

• CF203AD8-A077-4D92-9D40-3DCC0E7648E5.jpg
    CF203AD8-A077-4D92-9D40-3DCC0E7648E5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 311
  • 1C623C06-31B0-444F-A502-7FF2AF8C7DE6.jpg
    1C623C06-31B0-444F-A502-7FF2AF8C7DE6.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 352
Your hands look normal.

Your repeated posting suggests that anxiety has gotten the better of you. As I’ve told you before, nothing in your post suggests ALS.

Please get a handle on your anxiety. If you have further concerns, go see your doctor. We are not a general health or anxiety forum.

Hi there- this really isn't the type of forum that should be used this way. Your original post was answered by a knowledgeable member who informed you that your issues do not point to ALS and also that you should visit with a doctor if you had concerns. You have since added multiple posts, but the answer remains the same- If your concerns about your health are causing you to repeatedly visit a forum that exists to support people with a terminal disease in order to ask them if you should see a doctor, then you should see a doctor.

I apologize. I appreciate the valued feedback but I will refrain from any more posting. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back