Old 03-13-2019, 12:52 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Dallas
State: Texas
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
BellaBells is on a distinguished road
City: Dallas
State: Texas
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
BellaBells is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry but I have a update and a concern

Hello I'm sorry to bother you I'm not sure if you remember me my husband thought he had Als but his emg only showed signs of myopathy. I have let the thought go but yesterday we went to Parkland for a clinical exam with a neuro and we suspected that after seeing the emg they would do a muscle biopsy.

The first doctor seemed like he was ready to schedule a biopsy after looking at the results of the emg but he wanted to test my husband's strength and reflexes. So he did a series of strength test and used the little hammer to test his reflexes his legs didnt move at all when he hit them no reflex in one leg at all.

Then after that he said he would speak to his boss about the biopsy test after about 20 minutes or so his boss came in with him his boss is very heavy set and he also did a lot of strength test. Overall he didn't say much about what he thinks but he didn't order a biopsy he wanted another emg done this will be the third emg he has had done.

Does this seem concerning that this has been going on for a year and we are no closer to a diagnoses I don't know much about diseases but i thought emg's were hallmark for myopathy and Als we just had the other emg a month ago so it's not old and just a couple of months before that he had another done so I just dont understand why he wants another done.

I'm only asking you because you seem like you know a lot so any insight is appreciated. Updated he still walks about 2.5 miles no falling no tripping but he says he still feels as though his legs and fingers and hands are still weak. He says it's still hard to stand up and keep his balance but no falling.

He can still do about 100 push ups in intervals and the twitching has calmed down to about one or two every two days. He can still walk on toes and heels and jump as cx well as hop on one leg. He can jump about three times at three feet. At the track field he was able to beat a girl who runs about 12 seconds on 100 meters. What concerns him is that the neurologist told him little to no reflexes is a sign of als and he wants a repeat emg done could this new emg stop showing myopathy and start showing als?

Last edited by lgelb : 03-13-2019 at 02:33 PM Reason: paras
Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the roughBestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the roughBestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the roughBestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the rough

City: Calgary
State: Alberta (AB)
Diagnosed: 05/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Bestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the roughBestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the roughBestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the roughBestfriendstilltheend is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sorry but I have a update and a concern

Bella,

You have never let the thought of your husband having ALS go as you are obsessively on this site. I am not going to answer any of your questions because they do not pertain one bit to ALS. I will give you this one piece of advice and it may sound blunt, but here goes, Bella, you need help, deep psychological help. You are obsessed with your husband having this horrible, horrible disease and you refuse to let it go. I do not know if you want the attention you would get by your husband being terminally ill or what, but it is deeply troubling. Your husband does NOT, NOT, NOT have ALS.

The only one that I see with having any sort of a health malady is you. And it is a malady of a psychological nature. Please, for your own good, please speak to someone about why you want your husband to have a terminal illness so very badly. This may sound blunt and bordering on mean, and I apologise for this but, Bella, let it go now. OK? Move on, lose this site, forget ALS and do whatever you need to do to get yourself well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bestfriendstilltheend For This Useful Post:
Clearwater AL (03-13-2019), KarenNWendyn (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 02:47 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry but I have a update and a concern

Bella, we haven't heard any more reason to be worried about your husband in regards to ALS than we had in your last thread, and your last paragraph only reinforces that you're in the wrong place here, after a year.

As for reduced or absent reflexes meaning ALS, no, that is not true.

No, we would not expect an EMG to change from showing changes in the muscles themselves (myopathy) to showing nerve problems (neuropathy).

The questions you ask about why he needs another EMG and what diagnoses are still on the table should be directed to the physician who has ordered it.

As others have said, it's not productive for you to be here, so I'm closing this thread. Please do not start another. The answers and reassurance you need (which may include treatment for yourself, as you have again read) are in Texas.
Thanks from
Clearwater AL (03-13-2019)
Closed Thread

Tags
als, als?, balance, biopsy, clinical, emg, falling, fingers, muscle, muscle biopsy, neurologist, test, twitching, update, wanted