00/0000
Country
US
State
AL
City
Helena
Hi everyone.
First time poster, I first want to thank all of you for what you do on this site. Truly inspirational.
I will be brief. My symptoms are twitches mostly in left calf ( about a month now) but sporadically other places ( all over).
I have no clinical weakness that I can discern.
Neurologist evaluated me today and saw no atrophy and no weakness. She said does not believe it to be ALS.
My only issue/concern is they she said the EMG was inconclusive. She also said one muscle was “irritated”. What in your experience could bring about an inconclusive EMG?
I am editing to get scheduled for MRI and for blood test results. Thanks for taking the tome to read my post.

Abnormalities of any kind that are only found in one muscle are not what we see in ALS.

Irritated is not a technical term. I don’t know what she meant. If you post the report ( remove identifying data) we could perhaps answer the question though better ask your neurologist!

Opinions please

Thanks in advance to those of you that take the time to answer.
A quick snapshot of where I am.
Started calf twitching about 2 months ago. Googled symptoms and then began full body twitching. 95 percent still in calves. 5 percent everywhere else.
Calf had twitched in the past but always went away. Has been 24/7 non stop for two months though.
Went to Neuro. Clinical was fine. EMG was inconclusive. She said it meant nothing, did not point towards good or bad.
Follow up visit today to go over blood and MRI results. Nothing stands out on brain, neck or spine mri that would explain symptoms. Blood test show extremely high CK level. 5000?!
I have no clinical weakness, breathing or swallowing problems. Am I in trouble??

Mod note: Merged threads for you- Just keep posting in your original thread so all members have the information easily accessible and easier to reply to. Thank you!

If your only clinical symptom is twitching and you had a normal neuro exam, you’re off the hook in terms of ALS.

As far as the CK and the EMG, what did the neurologist say?

If the CK was drawn within a day or so after the EMG, all the needling from the EMG could cause an elevated value.

Other causes can include muscle trauma, heavy physical activity, dehydration, intramuscular injections, some medications (particularly cholesterol lowering meds), chronic alcohol abuse, and myopathies. Myopathies often have a distinct EMG appearance.

But no ALS.

My neuro has not clearly explained to me what the inconclusive EMG, despite my questions.
Blood for the CK level was drawn immediately after the EMG. In the process of being rechecked now. Thanks for the reply Karen. All the best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back