Pudsta

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
City
Connecticut
Hi im just looking for some advise ,

My son in law is 26 was very fit caring for severely disabled ppl for the last 7 years. About a year ago he started feeling vibrations in his legs but was still getting around. Over the last couple of months it has become where he isnt managing to stand on his feet without wobbling. He cannot stand on 1 leg at all cannot raise his legs if laid diwn. If he straightens 1 out while laid down it will tremor constant like nothing ive ever seen in my life. He cannot stand on his toes.

A few weeks ago he fell down at work. He says his leg just gave way. Then he fell on the staires at home again. Leg gave way ,while driving he said he couldnt feel the pedals for a time. He has left work ,this week he cannot bear weight on his legs and is asking for a wheelchair.

His bloods are clear just slightly low calcium , mri of spine clear. He is awaiting a brain scan. He waited 4 months to see a neuro who has now ordered emg and nerve studies which are being done on monday. His upper body has random twitches but hands are ok. He also cannot move his legs to dress, my daughter is doing it.

Does this sound like als? Please, my daughter has pushed and pushed for help. Drs are just overrun here in the uk, its ridiculous. Something is very wrong. I'm not sure if als symptoms are like this ,the way his leg was moving it wouldnt stop at all until he moved it from being straight. Any advise much appreciated god bless

Last edited by a moderator:
Several months ago you posted about yourself with tingling in your arms and legs, and hopefully we reassured you that sensory symptoms like tingling are not part of ALS.

Now you’re asking about your son in law??

Again, “feeling vibrations” is a sensory symptom and not part of ALS. Nor is “not being able to feel the pedals”. Whatever he, or you(?), have going on, it’s not ALS.

Yes i have severe nerve damage in all my limbs i have none stop tingling that came on acute and is still going on im fully fit thou ,my son in law on the other hand has got that bad hes ordered a wheelchair he doesnt describe tingling he describes vibration which i have witnessed and cannot stand unaided now that is why im asking on here ,if you read the post i made previously i clearly state that im looking to see if anyone on here has ever posted looking for advice on none stop tingling as no neuro has seen anyone like me before and still hasnt ,how you can put the two together i have no idea ,ppl have families things happen he is nothing like me in anyway i only asked advise on this why my other post is involvef i have no idea

Pudsta,

ALS is a rare disease, especially in the young, so you can understand why we are confused to see you asking about both yourself and your SIL in connection with it.

I'm glad to hear you're still fully fit, though.

Please let us know how his tests on Monday come out. The vibrations you describe don't seem anything like ALS, nor the inability to feel sensation. The MRI and the other tests will help determine whether he has something like MS or another illness.

Obviously, falls are dangerous, so no matter what is wrong, avoiding them is top priority.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back