Old 02-11-2019, 08:00 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Atlanta
State: Georgia
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Beamin22 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Question

Hi im a 29 year old male my story starts with one day in may 2018 i notice twitching in my calves then few weeks notice them in my arms , scalp, tounge, and eyelid not constant maybe a few pops

Over time my right leg felt stiff , felt like it would buckle and heavy feeling also if i would rub my toes across something it would feel jittery. Few weeks my both legs started to feel heavy also my tounge feels thick and feels like im slurring my words also started having swallowing issues not with food or drink but siliva

Went to my neuro 5 months into this sent me for an EMG on my right side. Came back clean except a 1 fasic and poly at wrist asked him to poke my tounge and that came back clean

After few weeks my left thumb started giving my problems hard to use feels tight like starined i notice a fine constant twitch in between my thumb and forefinger my thumb is getting worse does thsi sound like ALS
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question

Pops, weak feelings, twitches, tightness seem like a lot but may all signify nothing. With a clean EMG, it is even less likely that they have anything to do with ALS.

Keep working with your doctors to feel better, including checking in with your PCP, and reconsidering sleep/stress/exercise/nutrition/hydration, but you're in the wrong place here.

Best,
Laurie
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I have no pain numbness or tingling in my thumb its hard to use and reallly has been giving problems feels like im losing dexterity
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 PM #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute

If there are changes and you are already seeing a doctor, best go see them for a follow up. They already have a baseline for you and can tell you if there is concern. Please also read here: READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms! . It addresses such things as twitching, sensory issues and tightness.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:21 PM #5 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold

A clean EMG means no ALS. You need to lose about 70% of innervation to a muscle to fail. What this means is you will show signs on an EMG long before you would notice symptoms. Speaking of 70%, 70% of healthy adults twitch and it is meaningless. Do you remember the letter home from school saying someone in your child's class has HEAD LICE. The first thing mom does is scratch her head. Panic sets in and everybody in the house gets checked for HEAD LICE. Nobody has them, still you scratch. Nobody on the entire block has HEAD LICE, SCRATCH, SCRATCH, SCRATCH.... You're probably scratching just reading about HEAD LICE. But you don't have head lice.

This is what twitching is doing to you. You twitch, go to Dr Google and you have ALS. Except you don't have the primary symptom ( unexplained muscle weakness) or any abnormal findings on your EMG. Just as a cough can be stage 4 metastatic lung cancer, we don't usually jump from a cough to end stage cancer. So relax, you don't belong here.
Vincent
Thanks from
ShiftKicker (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

But my EMG wasnt done on the side of my Thumb was done on the other side is that still a good sign the other side was clean
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Yes, it is common to do the "good" side, since all the voluntary motor nerves can be affected by ALS and an EMG will show changes in most or all muscles tested whether they have been clinically weak or not.

You don't have ALS. Rejoice and move on to figuring out what will help you feel better.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, emg, food, ice, problems, story, swallowing, swallowing issues, thumb, twitching, wrist