Old 11-06-2018, 07:22 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Brooklyn
State: NY
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Artorna is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Symptom advice?

Good morning all, terribly sorry to bother. For about 3 months now I’ve been experiencing twitching mainly in my legs but more focused on my calves. As the months went on I now get them in my foot, thigh, face, tongue, arm, and basically anywhere. This alone was a bit concerning as good ol google gave me the obvious “ALS” diagnosis.

More recently my left arm has been feeling a bit weaker. I know since my left hand is not my dominant it should be normal to not have as much strength but still concerning. My left upper arm feels a bit numb but I can still lift it. Alongside this, when I walk my knees feel stiff like they will not bend to support. It almost feels as if they’re one step away from locking. I can walk but it does not feel right doing so.

My main concerns are the twitching and “perceived weakness? The twitching in my legs gets worse when trying to rest or when relaxing. The facial and tongue twitches happen not as frequent but frequent enough to make note of them. I have read the stickie but the combination of twitching and slight weakness in my arm has me concerned. Are these early signs? Thank you for your time.
Artorna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:08 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Symptom advice?

Three months into something or nothing, why not see your primary care doc?

Your issues are way too general to jump to ALS, but if you're posting here, you should be seeing someone out there in the real world.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:20 PM #3 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I visited my pcp a few days before symptoms started actually for a routine check and my blood work just showed a deficiency in folate acid. and THEN all the symptoms poured in.

But folate acid deficiency does not seem to have a side effect of twitching which is why I’m worried. My doctor won’t see me for another check since I went somewhat recently , which is why I turned to this forum.

These general symptoms, are they symptoms that are experienced in early ALS? Your reply has me only slightly worried
Old 11-06-2018, 07:04 PM #4 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond reputeShiftKicker has a reputation beyond repute

READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Have a read of the above again, if you haven't already. It explains things in detail. If you still have questions or do not feel reassured, your next step, as Laurie states, visit with a doctor for a clinical exam and ask them your symptom specific questions. That way they can explain what they are observing and provide you with objective answers based on their exam.
ShiftKicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:28 PM #5 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Following the two replies on my thread, I saw an NP on my campus. Explained my symptoms and then the whole "fear of ALS" and he even told me himself he's had many people come to him with the same fear. Very common among those suffering from anxiety. I had my muscle strength tested after convincing myself of possible muscle weakness with my twitching. Tested my legs and arms and have it all written down in a report "grip strength equal bilateral".

A thing he told me was that he himself had 7 months of nonstop twitching in the legs and arms and thought he may have had ALS when it turns out he was simply under stress. It really changed my perspective. I hope maybe this helps someone else who feels the same.

I am in the process of finding counseling. To anyone else who may read this, anxiety is very real and can make you feel very real things. This is my last post here, thank you to those that helped. Sorry to have bothered once again.

Tags
advice, arm, diagnosis, early, foot, lift, support, symptom, tongue, twitches, twitching, weakness