Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Boca
for the last year I've had stomach issues. But that's beside the point. Two months ago all my joints hurt so bad felt like I had arthritis. So after that about a week after it felt like I had broken my wrist or pulled it. Then the pain went away magically and now it's weak. I can still lift it never drop anything can do all activities normal. Just overall weakness in right arm. Then next about a month ago, came the twitching. I'm talking everywhere head, neck shoulders knees feet that started in October and just ended today. Now the twitching as of yesterday is localized to the left knee it's every five minutes a twitch. In one spot. Does this sound like the very start of ALS what was everyone's first symptoms. i saw a neurologist and he did an overall clinical exam he said I have a none to zero shot at it being ALS. But Said this before any emg, mri or blood tests. Then went on to brag that he's top doc and gets all the "hard cases" I'm a 27 year old female by the way. The twitching is all visible . Does this sound like anyone's story? I know if may be to early to even ask because it's only been about 2 and half months of symptoms.

No ALS. Doc is correct. You didn't mention a thing that had anything to do with ALS.

Twitching is so common to so many conditions that it is diagnostic of none.

Read the sticky post stuck to the top of this subforum. It's called "Read before posting" and it will answer of lot of your concerns.

So constant twitching couldn't be the very first symptom?

So constant twitching couldn't be the very first symptom?

Mryan,

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless unless accompanied by muscle function failure.
Up to 70% of normal healthy people twitch. When you consider that the incidence of ALS is 1-3 out of 100,000 people, that means 0.02% of the population has ALS. That’s compared to 70% of the population that has twitching.

So could twitching be the first symptom of ALS? Theoretically yes. But you can (hopefully) see how unlikely it would be for someone with twitching to subsequently develop ALS.

Unless you have muscle function failure, you don’t need to waste your time and energy worrying about ALS.

Would twitching cause the muscle function failure like if I twitch and then my muscles fail? And what is muscle failure like literally not being able to even type or move my arm or leg? Also does fasocusltions come with loss of muscles like coencide?

Twitching does not cause muscle failure.

Yes, people with ALS gradually lose the use of all their voluntary muscles. That'd be considered a failure.

Weakness may or may not be associated with fasciculations.

Please read the sticky referenced earlier. You are not describing ALS. Sorry if the neuro was abrupt/arrogant, but that doesn't mean he was wrong. Go back to your PCP to discuss strategies for feeling better.

Whom did you lose to ALS?

anyone officially diagnosed with ALS what were your very very first symptom?

Just curious I have had non stop twitching in left knee (every five seconds) but no muscle weakness could this be the absolute first symptom or does weakness usually first start then the twitching? What come first?

Re: anyone officially diagnosed with ALS what were your very very first symptom?

Myran,
You have asked this and have been answered, more than once! The Neuro who examined you said that this in no way was ALS. Time to move on. Don't open another thread. You do not have ALS but it seems like you need to address your anxiety.

Your profile says that you lost a loved one to ALS, whom did you lose?
Best,
Tracy

Hello question

I'm having two months of twitching body wide and right Arm weakness. Just had an emg last week. On my right arm. Has anyone diagnosed with ALS ever had a normal emg after first few months of symptoms but later developed ALS?

Re: Hello question

We already answered this. You are in the clear. And your not answering the question of whom you lost while asking for information in your case is, frankly, insulting.

Enjoy your life.

Best,
Laurie

Re: To anyone my age worrying, I want to re-assure trust these experts and stop worry

First of all people who post on here and are concerned are obviously concerned for a reason and are experiencing scary symptoms. My uncle died from ALS in 2012 December, this forum has people who are suffering from a disease that NOONE can imagine. I feel deep remorse for people with ALS. But please don't shoot down everyone's reply with a nasty comment just because they think they have something. I understand people are dying. I had stage one cervical cancer last year. I know it doesn't compare to this, but don't shoot us down if we ask questions my doctors aren't convinced I don't have ALS and sent me to a a clinic in Miami. This will be my last post on here I pray for all of you suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back