Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Dallas
Thank you all in advance for your time in reading this. I will do my best to keep it as brief as possible. I have read the sticky.

I’m 29, stay at home mom of three kids, three and under.

About 6 months ago, I noticed some neck stiffness, along with transient pins and needles and numbness (which I am aware is not a symptom of ALS). Went to GP, had full blood tests done and only thing noted was a significant vitamin D definitely. She (somewhat reluctantly) ordered an EMG and it is scheduled for the first week of December.

The pins and needles went away shortly after. However, I now have what feels like a line of stiffness in my entire left arm all the way down to my feet. I saw a neurologist and he noted slightly “jumpy reflexes” on my left side and ordered an MRI of my brain and spine (two weeks from now), as he suspects possible MS, based on my age and symptoms. He didn’t mention ALS. I didn’t either, as at that time, I didn’t really have any symptoms that could point to that.

However, lately I’ve been noticing tons of body wide twitching and my most concerning symptom as of the last week is speech troubles. I feel like unless I focus on what I’m saying, my speech comes out slurred and off. Which google directed me here, fearing Bulbar ALS. I have not noticed any swallowing issues at all. I’m just becoming super self conscious about my speech. I realize that this is most likely all anxiety, but I wanted to check in here as to if this sounds like the start of bulbar ALS.

I also realize that ALS, especially Bulbar onset, is very rare in someone under 30.
I truly appreciate your input, and know that my EMG will provide sound answers. I’m just fearful and struggling with waiting in the meantime.

Anxiety about the diagnostic process can lead to dry mouth/perception of speech changes.

I don't see ALS in this picture. And, as you know, MS is increasingly treatable.

Let us know what the EMG shows.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for responding, Laurie!

I suppose the speech issues are from anxiety. Does anyone else have any input? I tend to get fixated on worries (ALS currently), and these tests coming up have put me in such an anxious state.

Regardless, I will update on here after the EMG, in case someone is having similar symptoms and worries.

Your MRI would reveal possible MS lesions, so you won't have to wait as long on that front.

Three under three could also majorly contribute in terms of exhaustion, and physical and mental strain. When I was 27 (I'm now 33), I had a just-turned 4 year old, a 2.5 year old, and a newborn. It can be a huge strain, we tend to put a LOT on mothers and be all about well baby care, but not well mother care in this country. Postpartum Anxiety is very common, though most people have only ever heard of PPD. Even without clinical PPA, for any mom with several really young kids, the strain is very intense, and we don't get a lot of support (as mothers). Self care is very important. Hugs mama.

Without any clinical weakness/failure I would not worry about ALS at all at this point.

Thank you so much. I am going to try to focus on the self care, while waiting for more tests.

I read more about your story, and being diagnosed so young..The fact that my neurologist also noted hypereflexes and I feel like it’s a little harder to do certain things with my left side (my dominant side, as I’m left handed) has me concerned. When you first noticed speech issues did other people notice as well, or just you? As much as I feel like my speech sounds different, my husband and my family insist that there is no difference. It’s like I struggle to get my words out, but I’m guessing it’s percieved because no one else has noticed it.

Others noticed. It was an obvious difference. Do not let my story add to your anxiety. While I had a rare young diagnosis, I never suspected anything was wrong until I lost fine motor function in my dominant hand. I had had voice/speech changes for months and thought it was an ENT issue. I had a whole bunch of textbook symptoms but I didn't connect them and ALS was absolutely not on my radar until a doctor told me I was looking at a neurological issue.

If your first thought is ALS, but you're not having any loss of function, you probably have anxiety, not ALS.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my thread.

Just an update-There was a last minute cancellation and I was able to have the EMG this afternoon. I explained all of my concerns about ALS to the doctor and the EMG came back completely normal, thus ruling out ALS among other nerve related issues I was worrying about.

I just wanted to follow up Incase anyone else had similar symptoms as mine.

Thanks again. Logging off now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back