Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MD
City
oxford
I am a 63 yr. old female, have always enjoyed good health. In the last 8 months I have had weakness in my right hand, my non-dominant hand, dropping things, can't unlock a door, thread a needle or many other day to day things. I have to pay attention when I walk, walking dosen't feel normal. I feel like I stomp around like Fred Flinstone. Walking slow, couldn't run if I had to. Hard to go up stairs even with a railing, with my left hand holding the railing I can go up a few stairs as long as I am not carrying anything in my right hand. Can not stand on my toes, jump or walk on my heels. I have to have a plan to get up if I have to sit on the floor, I need something low like a stool then something high like a table to pull up. Visible muscle twitches, calf muscle are tight, can not pick up anything more than a couple of pounds. I feel very frightened, I value my independence more than anything else.

The first stop for issues like this is your primary care doc. You should certainly be checked out.

I understand your fears, but to know what you are dealing with is better than not.

Best,
Laurie

You need an appointment ASAP with your Primary Care Physician who will refer you to a neurologist should you need one. If you can not get in to see your PCP quickly I recommend you go to an urgent care doctor associated with you PCP, or one associated with a major hospital/physicians-group that has neurologists on staff. They can also do a referral. Knowing what is wrong and getting treatment will permit you to maintain your independence longer whatever the issue may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back