Interest: Other
Darci is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Moline
State: Illinois
Default Is this ALS?

I am a 42 year old woman. I have been having muscle twitches all over my body for 3 months now, I have been to the dr multiple times. My blood work is perfect, they have checked my potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium etc, also checked my thyroid and para thyroid, my CPK is normal, no muscle weakness or atrophy. My reflexes are normal. My dr is sending me to a neurologist which could take a month or longer. My only symptom is twitching mostly in my legs and arms. Once in a while itís in my stomach area. I also have bouts of not being able to swallow, like something is stuck in my throat.But my twitches are constant and it is scaring me. Of course dr google said ALS. I have a history of anxiety disorder. Any info would help
Darci is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this ALS?

You should find reassurance here READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Good luck
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:54 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Darci,

With a history of anxiety, I would look to see what makes the twitches better along with ruling out neurological disease. This could include a low voltage heated mattress pad at night, tai chi, Pilates, ballet, other static stretching, massage, meditation, long walks, swimming, volunteer work, whatever helps your mind better control your muscles.

As you know, you are not describing ALS, which is great news.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:27 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I have had anxiety all of my life and the twitches just started 3 months ago, would they go away with anxiety meds if it was ALS? And would I have any other signs 3 months later?
Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Anxiety doesn't always cause twitches by itself. But it can make them more likely and worse. Since anxiety often waxes and wanes with or without drugs, so do things it contributes to, like twitching.

In ALS, if there are twitches, they tend to go away as muscles get weaker and more nerves die. They don't go away with drugs, though they may be less noticeable.

We do not see ALS presenting with bodywide twitching, no weakness or atrophy.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:52 PM #6 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thank you so much for your response, I am just trying to find other causes.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:44 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

Not to be flip, but "finding other causes" is kind of your doc's job -- s/he has a powerful legal incentive to find causes other than anxiety, to the extent that they exist. I understand you're going to see a neuro, as well -- I'm just saying, it's not on you to find the zebras.

If s/he does not see anything else wrong, maybe it's worth pretending that's the case for the month before your neuro appointment, and see how far feel-better strategies in the vein of my earlier suggestions can take you.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:03 AM #8 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

I went to the ER last night with a headache on my right temple. I told the dr about the ongoing twitches and the fear of ALS, she ran the same blood work, and a ct scan. All were normal except potassium was a litte low, I started crying and she asked what was wrong I said the more you rule out the more it could be ALS. She did a few neuro tests, no Clonus, reflexes were still normal etc. she said it doesnít look like ALS. I forgot to say In my first post, I am a home health care giver. I drive about 80 miles a day from home to home, 90% of my patients are terminal. I have read on this sight twitches have come before other signs. Would I have other signs after 3 months of twitches? My twitches are not all day and night I donít notice them while working, only while sitting or laying down. Iím a mess, any advice will help
Old 10-13-2018, 02:29 AM #9 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Get a grip Darci, we can't say anything more now, you are just asking the same things in different ways. You are not displaying signs of ALS, and you need to seek health professional help rather than strangers with a terminal illness online.

I wish you peace and a long healthy life.
affected is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:41 AM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

Darci, several medical doctors have physically examined you and run tests, two of the most knowledgeable people in the world have answered you here. No ALS. If you're still worried about ALS, then the worry itself, not ALS, is the problem.

ER docs don't know shit about ALS. They are trained and experienced at stabilizing human bodies so you can live another day.

Both docs and also nurses will try to exude confidence to the patient, and will give you the impression they know ALS. They don't. Doctors, I found, know just a little about it. But doctors are those kids who grew up so smart and have been right about nearly everything their whole lives that they can't imagine something they are not expert in. As for nurses, they don't have any of the background needed to diagnose ALS, but they will nod and give you the impression they do.

If you wish, see a neurologist who specializes in ALS and get an EMG. But, by all means, ask your PCP to consider treating you for anxiety. ALL of the symptoms you stated here are classic anxiety.

I am not a doctor. See your PCP. Forget about ALS.
Atsugi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
dldugan (10-13-2018)

Tags
als, als?, anxiety, atrophy, info, is this als, is this als?, magnesium, muscle, muscle twitches, muscle weakness, neurologist, only symptom, swallow, symptom, twitches, twitching, weakness, work