Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Merseyside
City
Liverpool
Hi guys,

I’m really new to this thread and have read all the information before posting this.

I’m really scared at the moment. A few days ago I noticed a sudden weakness in my left leg. This wasn’t gradual and as I say, very sudden. I can still walk properly, walk on my tip toes and I don’t not trip or fall. It just feels really weak but capable at the same time. Naturally I consulted DR Google and I started scaring myself with ALS. The next day my arm started feeling weak and playing up too. I feel very stiff when I get up of a morning but that normally goes away a few minutes after. The weakness also changes depending on the position I’m sitting/standing. When I’m sitting my leg/ankle tends to feel really weak but that changes to my arm if I change position.

I some times slight twitches but not frequently. My grip is completely fine and I can still carry things as normal. I also some times get back pain as well, although this seems to have stopped.
Visited my GP who did a few reflex tests etc and all were normal, said my strength seemed fine. Went for bloods tests today so get results back on Friday.

But from my symptoms does this sound like ALS? I’m just worrying myself sick. Note that I’m 22 and a male as well.

Danny.

Nothing you posted sounds like ALS. It does sound like you are extremely anxious and anxiety can make any symptom much worse. Trust your doctor and work with him/her.

Try to stay off Google. It will only increase your anxiety.

You definitely don't need to be here.

Fears of ALS

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is well.

It started last month where I had noticed (Out of the blue, this was very sudden) that my left leg has some sort of weakness. It was a tingling sensation as well, I could still walk properly and walk on my tip toes etc (And still can) but it just felt like it was weaker. A few days later I noticed it transferred to my left arm where it was starting to feel weaker (Again no loss of strength) but I just thought it was a bit strange. After a few days this went away for about 2 weeks. But again, in the last few days it has came back and this time it feels worse. Depending on whether I am standing up or sitting down is what seems to determine the location of the weakness. When I sit down, my left arm tingles, feel weak but not numb. Yesterday it became a bit painful and felt very achy. Today, not so much. Just very tingly. As I say, there seems to be no loss of strength.

Just my left arm and left leg (As well as upper arm/shoulder) feels very achy. I went to see a GP the first time and she said it was very unlikely to be ALS and said my strength and reflexes were normal. It seemed to start when my partner kept pinching my left arm really hard (As a joke) but I'm not sure if this is the cause. I just don't understand it as it suddenly started feeling weak, went away for 2 weeks and then came back again.

It's been a few days now and it seems to get worse when I sit down and becomes very achy and tingly. At the minute I see no loss of strength (that I know of) and no atrophy. I started googling symptoms and one of the things that kept coming up was ALS. I had twitches in my left leg and left arm but they seem to have gone away. I could feel the twitches but couldn't really see them. I am very anxious about this because I am only 22 and a male.

What do you guys think this is?

Thanks for reading.

Danny- I have moved your post to your previous thread. Please continue to post here. I would also like you to read the https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html post again to refresh yourself with regards to symptoms that do or do not mean a concern about ALS.

Kim's reply to your first post still stands. There is nothing to add with your current reported symptoms. Keep working with your doctor to figure out what your issues may be caused by, but there is no need to keep returning here.

Thanks for the reply.

So at the moment you don’t think I should be concerned about ALS. I have read the posts but people have different symptoms don’t they?

In your experience what do you think symptoms like this could mean?

Danny, this is not a general health forum, but one that exists to support those with ALS and their caregivers. Your best bet is to pose your questions to your doctor to see what they think is the next direction of inquiry.

I have a bit of an update. I was feeling my left leg before and it tingles when you rub it whereas the other one doesn’t. My left arm feels very weak and my left leg feels weak. Does ALS normally happen so suddenly? I’m sorry I just need educating because I am so terrified. I am 22 and it terrifies me so much. I can still walk properly and I’m pretty sure I can still lift the same amount. I’m booking a GP appointment tomorrow, but I’m terrified. Just my arm and leg tingle.

Danny,

No one is here to handhold you through your health anxiety. You've been asked not to post any further questions, as this is not a general heath forum, yet here you are (disrespectfully so), asking questions that should be directed to your pcp.

Have some respect, please, and move along and bring any further questions you have to your doctor; not here.

Best of luck to you in the future.

I wasn’t asking about general health? I was asking about ALS and the symptoms, everybody is different and it would be nice to be educated about it. I’m very sorry if I have been disrespectful in any way, it was not intended. It has just terrified me that is all, I’ve never had any symptoms like these.

My apologies,

Danny.

Your symptoms do not suggest ALS.

However, your post screams health anxiety.

Any further questions or posting should be addressed to your primary care physician. At this point, when we have told you don’t have ALS, additional questions for us are inappropriate and disrespectful.

This forum is not for you, as you do not have ALS. This is good news. Please work with your doctor and ask them your health questions.

Closing thread, Danny, please don't open another.

Appointment at neurologist centre

Hi guys,

I was told not to post but I thought it may be worth writing. Over the last week my symptoms seem to have gotten worse. I feel very stiff, my neck feels very stiff. The stiffness seems to have transferred over to my right arm and leg. I can still pick things up and walk around like normal. Can still use my hands as normal. Some times my muscles seem to spasm and when I’m in bed I feel very stiff.

Right arm and leg not as bad but feels very stiff and achy, same as my left arm. I went to the GP yesterday and he has referred me to a neurologist, what can I expect? I asked him how common ALS is in 22 year old males, he said very unlikely and the last case of ALS he has seen was 15 years ago and was a 70 year old male.

Sorry for this, I’m not being disrespectful but I just want to find out. My appointment isn’t until the 10th of December.

Re: Appointment at neurologist centre

I also food blood in my stool.

Blood in your stool should be addressed by your GP.

As for the rest, stiffness and achiness do not signify ALS. You need to ask your GP to refer you for help with your health anxiety. Hopefully the neuro will reassure you as well. All the best.

Last edited:

Dude, blood in your poop? ALS? Go back to your doctor and ask these questions.

The issue is your symptoms do not point to ALS, so you do not belong on this forum. This forum is not to be used as a resource for your health related questions- no matter how much you fear ALS and insist your questions are ALS related.

I am rolling this into your original thread, which remains closed. Do not post another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back