Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
NS
City
Somewhere
I don't really think that I have ALS but I have some weird neurological symptoms so just a bit curious. I have read of PALS developing gastroparesis. Is that usually a late stage symptom or can it be a first symptom?

Out of the blue one day I became violently ill and ended up in the hospital for 62 days. I had 2 gastric emptying studies and both were severely abnormal (the first one showed 54% remaining in my stomach and the second, just a few months later, showed 70% remaining in my stomach). My official diagnosis is severe idiopathic gastroparesis which basically means they have no clue why/how my vagus nerve became so damaged. I do not tolerate many foods and am currently waiting to get a J or G/J tube. I currently see a gastroenterologist who says he has no clue what's going on and that there is nothing he can do. There are no neurogastroentogists in my area.

Thank you in advance.

What are your neurological symptoms?

A good thing is you live in Canada. We have a drug available here ( not in the US) called domperidone. It is a wonderful motility drug. Taken half an hour before eating it empties the stomach to allow room for the next meal. Also this is something more associated with diabetes than ALS. Diabetic neuropathy isn't only in the feet, it can hit anywhere. Even the vagus nerve.
Vincent

Gastric function is involuntary and regulated by the autonomic nervous system. This has nothing to do with ALS.

I know nothing about you condition but wouldn't worry about ALS. But since you're here's browse around the subforum, there's lots of good advice about feeding tubes and how to take care of them and how to prepare your own food and what formulas are good.
I hope your symptoms improve and that you get some insight in what's causing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back