Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
WI
City
Hales Corners
Hi, I am hoping you can help me figure out what is going on or not going on with me. I am a female, 47 years old. 4 months ago I started getting tingling in my feet and numbness in my calves, that progressed to muscle twitching all over my body and mild cramping in my calves over the next month or so. Today I noticed my right ankle area is somewhat smaller than my left side. I do feel like my muscles feel fatigued but I don't think that they are weak.

I have seen my GP in June and July and she did all the tests and blood work, all normal. I saw a neurologist a month ago and she ordered a MRI of my brain and lumbar, all normal. I DO have anxiety over this because I don't know what is going on and now with what seems to me to be atrophy I'm super worried. You look up the symptoms on the web and ALS comes up everywhere. What do you think? I am so upset and concerned.

Hello Stacy, sorry to see you here. I'm also in Wisconsin. If you are seeing anyone at the UW system, run away! They dropped the ball with my diagnoses and care during and after big time. Suggest St. Mary's in Madison.

Perceived atrophy and widespread twitching are naturally going to make you feel anxious, but least likely to relate to ALS or anything serious.

What was the neurologist's diagnosis or plan?

The Neurologist said she doesn't get to give good news that often and that all my tests are good so she was happy to tell me she didn't think it was anything serious. I followed up with my GP, When I talked to her I told her I had anxiety over it so she prescribed anxiety meds. That's the last I heard from any of the docs, that was about 2 weeks ago. The only reason I am stressed is because they haven't given me any answers! that is how I ended up on the internet searching and now I am more worried than ever...UGH

The conclusion that "nothing serious" is afoot is, actually an answer.

My advice is to accept it unless/until you have reason not to, e.g. an inability to perform activities.

As for anti-anxiety meds, I would considering tapering off under medical supervision, unless you have an ongoing anxiety disorder. Obviously the meds are not keeping you from being anxious, anyway.

The permanent, non-drug way to deal is to figure out what improves the symptoms (diet, exercise, hydration, sleep, stress, massage, stretching, hot tub, tai chi, what have you) and evolve a regimen that makes you feel better overall. Since you mention numbness and tingling, that can suggest that wherever/however you most often sit or sleep could need some tweaking for pressure relief.

So this doesn't sound like ALS to you?

No, it does not.

I'm just so nervous about it after reading about it on the internet. I keep thinking since the doctors don't know what is causing my symptoms that it's got to be something aweful and ALS keeps coming up when I try finding answers.

Why do you think something dire and medical has to be causing your symptoms? That's a common fallacy here and I am always interested in what brings it on.

Anyone reading this can provoke extreme pain at the drop of a hat by twisting her body, flopping on a chair, one false move. (Don't try this at home, please. You know what I mean.)

If you're hungry, you eat. If you're thirsty, you drink. If you're numb and tingly/crampy, whatever, do you not think it's in your power to make it better, since two docs have said you're OK on the whole?

I guess it's because of the unknown and that before June I never experienced any of these symptoms. If I had a diagnosis of what this is I wouldn't be worried. Especially when ALS keeps popping up in my symptom search. I just wanted to know if my symptoms sounded like ALS or not.

Your symptoms do not suggest ALS. Laurie already told you that. Laurie is very knowledgeable about ALS. The fact you have come back and asked yet again after being reassured speaks to your anxiety problem. I doubt I have reassured you either. Please seek help for your anxiety which is a serious, crippling problem.

Thank you, you have reassured me and made me feel much better. Thank you so much. I wish the best to all of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back