Hello.. I have a concern. Would like your 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoni

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
Well, recently been noticing stuff going down the wrong way a bit more often. Still just randomly. Just thin liquids and saliva. Not very often. Saw doc... he says not ALS.. he's not worried and if he was he'd tell me. He asked if I had trouble with food.. and I said no. I asked how he could be sure.. he said I didn't have any other symptoms like weight loss. He's ordered a throat scope for me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Should I be worried?

There's never any point in worrying just before a test that will tell you a lot more.

Let us know how it goes.

Best,
Laurie

Anoni, lots of people have swallowing issues for a variety of reasons. ALS generally is at the bottom of the list.

In people over 65, the esophagus musculature and sphincter pressure change so that swallowing becomes less coordinated. This is a common effect of aging,

In people of all ages, one of the most common reasons for swallowing problems has to do with acid reflux which may cause strictures (narrowing) in the esophagus. Hiatal hernias can also cause difficulty swallowing.

The throat scope is a good place to start. A barium swallowing study (X-ray) can also show hiatal hernias, strictures and other structural problems.

Common things are common. ALS is rare.

No, you should not be worried. There are so many reasons for swallowing to be off.....including stress.

Yesterday I played cards with a lady who smokes. She has trouble swallowing and choked on her bottle of water. I had to quickly stand her up and calm her down. In her case I think it's COPD plus she talks while drinking/playing.

Laurie

Thank you.

The throat scope is a good place to start. A barium swallowing study (X-ray) can also show hiatal hernias, strictures and other structural problems.

Common things are common. ALS is rare.

Thank you for your reply. From what I gather searching around it's not as uncommon as people think. I have a better chance of getting ALS than I do of stuff like testicular cancer, Hodgkin's disease or dying from falling down a set of stairs.

No, you should not be worried. There are so many reasons for swallowing to be off.....including stress.

Yesterday I played cards with a lady who smokes. She has trouble swallowing and choked on her bottle of water. I had to quickly stand her up and calm her down. In her case I think it's COPD plus she talks while drinking/playing.

Yeah.. I have GERD. Lots of reasons. But then I read all this stuff like excessive yawning is a sign.. and daytime sleepiness right after starting my thread here. Both of which I have. It's just.. so random. For every online site that says if this and this is true.. it's not ALS.. there are case studies that say yes it is.

Needless to say my anxiety is thru the roof.

Thank you for replying!

I did not check for Canada but the US has more new cases of testicular cancer and of Hodgkin lymphoma annually than ALS ( I just looked it up) and testicular cancer manages that statistic when 1/2 the population is immune!

Anoni-

This forum is not set up like others- the folks here are not here to debate, nor are they people you need to spend a whole lot of energy convincing you have ALS. You've asked some questions and received answers from some incredibly knowledgeable and experienced members. If you feel the need to do any convincing, your doctor is the person you need to engage with.

Please read this link very carefully. In particular the section titled "Finally".

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html

@ Nikki J

Okay.. I just wish it were rare to the point of non existence.. you folks are brave living with it.

@ShiftKicker

Thank you.. read it. Apologies. So much conflicting info out there.

Dude, not everyone with a cough has stage 4 lung cancer. There are myriad reasons for things going down the wrong tube. Most of them not life threatening. As one of our members likes to say: When you hear hooves, think horses not zebras
Vincent

@Vincent

We shall see I guess. Hey.. Barrie. I grew up at Camp Borden. '67-90.. : )

It is extremely irresponsible to state as fact something that you apparently did not look up but made up in your head. It illustrates one of many reasons why you should not believe everything you read online but work with your doctor. If your statement about disease rates had gone unchecked it would have been repeated by other anxious people. It probably will anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back