Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Indiana
City
Indianapolis
I have had a constant cough and throat clearing for 7 months now.

It all started after I stopped taking Klonopin cold turkey. I had a baby and then started panicking over health related issues.

I've had two clean EMGs. One on my legs and one on my arms. At the time I had lots of twitching but that has since gone away and I know that was from being so stressed out. I had the EMG done on my arms during the time when I was also experiencing a lot of coughing.

I have no other symptoms like trouble swallowing, tongue weakness or slurring of words.

I had an endoscopy which showed my mild, almost normal, inflammation in the bottom of my esophagus and PPIs don't seem to work. Gaviscon from the UK does seem to improve it. Also, drinking seems to make it worse.

Does this sound like bulbar ALS, at all? Would the limb/arm EMG have picked up on it since I was also coughing at that time?

I am so sorry to post this, but I just don't want to go down that rabbit hole again.

Yes, the EMG would have picked something up from your limbs.

It sounds like your main symptoms are cough and throat clearing. You’ve had some twitching in the limbs but normal EMG.

Normal EMG rules out ALS. Cough and throat clearing can have many causes including reflux, post nasal drip, medications, allergies, chronic bronchitis, asthma, smoking, chronic sinusitis, to name a few. Sometimes a cough can linger for months after a respiratory infection.

I don’t see ALS as being anywhere in the picture here.

I suspect one of your meds is causing this mild dry cough, persistently since you started taking it. Allergy to medication. See your PCP.

emg question

I had an clean EMG on my legs about six months ago. At the time I had a lot of twitching. I had an clean EMG on my arms two months ago, as well.

All of the sudden, I feel like I am dragging one of my feet. My question is that I know a clean EMG means no ALS, but how far in the past is that valid?

I still run and don't trip then and if I focus on walking I don't trip then either.

I definitely suffer from health anxiety regarding this and realize it could be nothing. It may be important to note I have been having plantar fasciitis pain in that foot. So, maybe that could also be the cause.

Does this sound like ALS at all? Should I not worry based on previously clean EMGs?

Mod note- merged threads. Please keep posting in your already open thread here.

Re: emg question

6 and 2 months ago is not too early. See a podiatrist if the inflammation is increasing, or try a different insert. Some shoes can definitely worsen the condition.

See a counselor if needed so you can get past the anxiety and focus on your baby.

Thank you! So, you think something would have shown up in those EMGs if this had anything to do with a nerve/als issue?

Thank you again. I really do.

Amuhles, some of the world's best ALS experts have reassured you, and your own doctors have examined you. They gone to the expense of high tech tests. ALL of the evidence points AWAY from ALS. You're cleared. Good to go.

So at this point, we'll turn our attentions to other people and simply congratulate you on your new life. Live it well.

No need to reply. Good luck getting rid of that anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back