Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
London
City
London
Hi - and first off thanks for reading.

I may be in the wrong place, but a potted history: a 49 year old man with no medical history, but twitching in a number of locations (mainly calves, foot-arches, upper arms, back and sometimes tongue) for c. 10 months. Had a neuro exam about 3 months into the twitching after a referral from GP/PCP - no issues at that point were noted, other than the twitches which I understand are "judged by the company they keep". Hence, shortly after this I had a nerve conduction and EMG at 5 points which showed the twitches (and registered them) on calves, other than that, nothing. Also get a bit of muscle pain on the legs, feet and arms.

But, the past few weeks something I've never had before - what I think is heartburn. Is this related in any way to ALS does anyone know? I also get a slight feeling of being breathless, but it's not restricting daily activities. I also had an MRI at the same point as EMG, this was clear on brain and spine - i was in fact more worried about progressive MS than ALS as I'm of Scottish descent and MS is less rare here, despite twitching not being a classic MS symptom. But this latest issue has got me wondering about ALS...and re-thinking the twitching in the context of the details in this paragraph, I searched this site and saw a couple of posts re diaphragm weakness and “reflux” - but those were old posts.

I'm not really the kinda guy that walks on his heels, toes, or does other tests! So, anecdotally, I stopped running about 6 months ago as the muscle pain/stiffness was too much, but I still go to the gym and do the same routine as before - weights to a moderate level. My weight is level in the last year, if anything slightly increased. Work in an office.

Would anyone have any comment on this? Thank you

No ALS here.

A clean EMG means no ALS.
Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless.
Heartburn is not related to ALS.

You’re right that you’re in the wrong place, fortunately.

No ALS in this picture, fortunately, but to keep your weight level, loosen up, and even possibly address the slight breathless feeling, why not kick off a walking regimen over hill and dale?

If the feeling of heartburn/breathlessness continues, do see your GP.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back