Learn about ALS
Country
FIN
State
Uusimaa
City
Vantaa
Hi everybody!

Im a 28-year-old male. I started experiencing twitches almost two months ago. They started from my left leg and soon spread all over my body, including tongue and neck. My muscles are really tense and sometimes I feel pain in them.

I went to neurologist and she checked me and told everything is fine, no need for enmg test. Symptoms have continued since and im really scared and stressed.

Few days ago I started feeling a lump in my throat and I have difficulties swallowing. My throat feels like its somehow smaller than usual. Plus when I eat or drink I feel like something is going behind the nose. I havent choked and nothing has come out of the nose.

I went to a doctor, he looked in my throat for one second and said theres some inflammation and its swollen.

So my questions are:

1. If this was als (possibly bulbar) could it be possible to have cleared the neurological clinical examination?

2. Do these throat/ swallowing issues sound like als.

3. Can als be cause the cause of my acid reflux that I have been having past few days, people say its stress?

I have been under a lot of stress lately and now this fear is driving me crazy, im travelling at the moment so I cant visit my neuro either.

Thanks for every reply!

Hi Rexar,

It is very common here that people start twitching and then feel their swallowing has been affected.

When you are stressed about twitches (that are meaningless in themselves), you get a dry throat and mouth, you don't eat normally, you focus on swallowing. And you are more likely to have reflux or something like it because your body is too amped up to digest properly. You may eat too fast as well because you are worried about swallowing. Then you swallow air and that makes you feel worse.

Go back to the doctor when he recommended to see if the inflammation goes down, and ask about treating the reflux short-term if it causes pain that interferes with sleep, etc.

But the things I would focus on are the stress that is fueling your physical symptoms. In all likelihood, only by reducing your stress with sleep, nutrition, hydration, stretching, walking, tai chi, massage, hot tub, music, whatever relaxes you, will you be able to see a change in your physical symptoms. One follows the other.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your quick reply!

Yes, im aware that all of this may well be because of stress. I have been trying to relax as much as possible, but this thing always comes back to my head...

So I thought just to ask what in your opinion a clear clinical exam means. Its a good sign right?

If this thing still bothers me, should I get an enmg or something else? I would just like to put a stop this worrying so I was wondering if there was some test that would find out definitely if there was something to be worried about.

Ps. I much appreciate and respect the help and advice you give here to people

Yes, a clean clinical exam means that there is no detectable nerve problem. It is a very good sign, especially when you think there is a problem.

The neurologist was right -- you have provided no reason for an EMG. It's not a fun test, so there is no reason to subject yourself to one without any reason. Take your reassurance from the clean exam, your swollen throat (which ALS does not cause), and the fact that you have stress that can explain your symptoms. The way to feel better is to do what makes you feel better. Continuing to think about diseases that you don't have will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back