Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Staten Island
Hi everyone. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond. I did read the post that was written and it was very informative. I still have some questions though. I noticed some weakness in my right leg. Mainly it feels shaky, and if I try to use that leg to stand on alone (for example in yoga, bending on that leg, etc) it is extremely shaky. The toes on that foot are also sort of numb and weird feeling. My right arm also feels a bit strange. It kind of feels heavy and also weaker. I have probable Lyme disease (serology negative) and I do have an old shoulder injury and an old knee injury on that side but I never felt anything like this before. Could this possibly be als?

Hi,

I recommend you go over the https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-...-common-concerns-about-possible-symptoms.html again, as you mention both sensations and perceived weakness, which is not the same as clinical weakness.

Your questions really are better asked of a doctor, who can give you a proper examination and conduct a neurological assessment if they feel it is warranted. As coughing does not immediately equal lung cancer, a feeling of weakness and shaking in a limb does not mean ALS.

There really aren't going to be any more answers than that one, kr.

As a public service, I must advise you to be wary of "probable Lyme" with negative serology. The notion of Lyme that doesn't manifest at all in labs is often nothing more than an ATM for many "LLMDs" and related clinics, and can lead to years of unnecessary antibiotics that cost time, money and health.

What you describe can be anything from a passing virus to sleeping wrong to nothing. If you are concerned, you can see your PCP to establish a baseline for your strength.

Thank you so much for your response. I did go over it but I’m still a bit confused. What is the dofferndce between clinical weakness and perceived weakness? If I have trouble just standing on that weaker leg or using it more , is that clinical
Weakness? And what about the numbness? Thank you again!

As a public service, I must advise you to be wary of "probable Lyme" with negative serology.

Thank you. I’m trying to get to the bottom of my symptoms right now. It wasn’t a totally negative test, thete were positive bands, but by the cdc’s standards it is negative. Thank you for your response

Clinical weakness is diagnosed by a doctor. Feeling weak is perceived weakness. Feeling weak when standing on one leg is not the same as clinical weakness. Numbness and feeling weak is not indicative of ALS.
Tracy

Thank you for your answer. Some other symptoms I have are the globus feeling and some trouble swallowing solids. Even with saliva sometimes it’s like the muscles just won’t work and I have to really try to swallow. Also have been noticing some more saliva in my mouth when talking. I do have a history of GERD. And health anxiety as I’m sure you have noticed.

It's time to visit with a doctor and to ask them your questions. You've been given some excellent advice and information. Please do come back and let the forum know what your doctor discovers during their exam of you and what the next step will be with regards to pursuing a cause for your reported symptoms.

Any further posting would be pointless at this time, as a proper diagnosis can only be gained from seeing a medical professional. Speculation and sitting on a forum for a rare disease will net you nothing other than anxiety. Nothing you report fits the constellation or pattern of symptoms that indicates ALS but you are not gaining reassurance despite people's replies. Now it's time for a doctor.

Thank you. I have a neuro appointment on September 23rd. It was the absolute soonest I could get in because they’re busy. I’ll come back and update after I am seen. Thank you

Just wanted to update everyone. I got a sooner appointment with a different neurologist. I do have hyper reflexes and slight weakness on the right side. Because im only 24, he thinks MS is more likely but he ordered an EMG of both extremities to be safe and an MRI of brain and cervical spine. Will update next month with all of the results.

Thank you for returning and letting the forum know. I am glad you found a neuro who could take you sooner and who is helping you find some answers. It sounds like you are good hands.

I just wanted to offer a partial update and ask some questions. Thank you in advance to everyone who reads and replies. I know it takes a lot out of you all to come on here and answer questions so I really appreciate it. I was sent for a balance test due to vertigo like symptoms. It came back as coming from the central nervous system and not an inner ear issue. My cervical MRI came back normal and the brain mri was not ready yet. My EMGs are next week. I forgot to mention this in my last post but when I saw my neuro he noticed my left eye is droopy. He also asked me if I notice any atrophy or muscle wasting. Wouldn’t that be something for him to diagnose/examine me on? And are the vertigo/eyelid drooping consistent with an early ALS diagnosis, because of my other symptoms? Thank you guys again!

Vertigo and droopy eyelids are not from ALS.
It sounds like your workup is still in progress.
If you don’t get answers after completing the workup, please request a chest X-ray. Very rarely, a unilateral droopy eyelid can be the result of a masses in the upper lung fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back