Learn about ALS
Country
FI
State
Finland
City
Helsinki
Hi all,

First sorry of my bad english. I’m 24 years old women from Finland and I have had now almost 3 months twitching all around my body. It just started from couple of twitching in my right leg. Of course I made some google research and I saw these three letters ALS.

After this twitches starded to spread everywhere. Hand, belly, cheeks, temple, lip, nose, chest,back - twitching all day. Sometimes twitches stay in the muscle for example 10-20 seconds but usually it’s only 1-2 twitch per muscle and sometimes they are quite huge - feels like a vibrator runs under the skin.

After 1 month I had appoinment with neurologist and he made some balance tests etc - everything normal. He saw and felt that I was very worried and anxious so he send me to get an enmg. Well I went to enmg on 27th last month and neurologist tested right hand and leg(enough?) - enmg normal and even no any fasciculations although I felt many twitches during this.

Well I was very relieved of the results for a few days until I start to feel very bad twitching in my right temple and also some headache. Then my belly and back start to twitch more often and of course legs all over. I’m just so terrified and tired of all this twitching. I have tried everything - vitamins, magnesium, massage, stretching, workout and nothing seemed to help.

I don’t feel that I would have any weakness except some fatigue but I think it’s because of anxiety and some strange pain in my limbs (like growing pains or something) I monitor myself all the time and do the stupid test like standing with one foot or raising my hands up. I really have lost the joy of life because of this.

I’m afraid that my enmg wasn’t too wide enough or that the doctor didn’t notice somehting. What do you think can these all twitches be symptoms of stress and anxiety? I have always stressed a lot but never twitching. I have read about BFS but still believing that this is serious :(

I attached also my enmg results (don’t know why)

Attachments

• F46E9D0E-F2D1-4A8E-B726-0155B8124DDF.jpg
    F46E9D0E-F2D1-4A8E-B726-0155B8124DDF.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, right hand and leg is enough for the EMG to see if there is an issue in your case.

It is not at all unusual for someone your age who has been stressed for a while to have the onset of twitching. It doesn't have to be just anxiety -- you could have a little nutritional imbalance or not be drinking enough water or doing enough stretching -- but that can prolong it and/or make it worse.

I would return to your primary care physician and talk about ways that you might feel better, but if you can tell yourself every day that you do not have ALS, that those three letters do not apply to you, it will be easier for you to see the ways that you can best help yourself as well. We often recommend that you see how you can help those less fortunate in some way, to help see all the advantages of your own situation.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back