Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Buies Creek
I have been doing what I can the last two years or so. And based on my previous posts, I can clearly see that my worries were extreme at the time.

Fast forward until now. These past few weeks/months, I have had some "heaviness" when walking in my right foot and leg.

I have a terrible habit of walking on the outside of my foot on that side to begin with, but it does "feel" (and I do hate that description) as if it does not want to work properly. If I concentrate on it, and looking at reflections while walking, I can see my foot "lifting" when I make sure I am trying to.

But under normal walking, it is just off. That is the only way I can put it. I can stand on my toes as well as my heels, do jumping jacks, etc... And I know this points away from anything related to clinical weakness.

My question is that with foot drop/weakness, would I be able to do these things at all? I have read the sticky where it states that things just stop working and that's it. But I do remember reading stories here, (while lurking) about things becoming more difficult first and then leading into weakness.?!?!

I had "clean/normal" EMG's two years ago with normal blood work and neck MRI. I have never had a full spinal MRI. Not sure if I even need one?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks-

If you can walk on your toes and on your heels, you do not have a foot drop. You had a clean EMG previously, and I’d be willing to bet you still do.

If you’re concerned about how you walk, see an orthopedist or have your primary care provider refer you to one. Physical therapy may be helpful as well.

Mod note- see past posts here:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/35977-clarifying-info.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/36324-one-additional-question.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/37723-little-light-subject.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/38417-reflex-related-question.html

Agree with Karen, a visit with a physiotherapist can help with gait analysis and strength assessment. After which they can provide a rehabilitative/strengthening program. If, after several months of corrective exercise, there is no improvement, a physio can provide proper documentation and recommendations to your pcp as to what might be the next best step.

Sounds like to me that you need some decent running shoes for people who supinate. Most people pronate( ankle rolls in) so most shoes are good for pronation with extra support on the inside part of the arch. This type of shoe would just magnify the problem. So go to Running Room or the like and ask for shoes for supinators (ankle rolls out) with support on the outside of your shoe.
Vincent

I appreciate the info!

And Vincent, after researching supinate, I do feel as if that is happening with might foot. I looked at old shoes and could see the wear on the outside was much more pronounced that on the inner.

Does supinate have to do with anything related to the weakness/mobility issues with MND?

I also made my follow up with my Neuro. He had a cancellation for Monday. He also happens to be the director of the VCU ALS Clinic from what I can see fron his profile. So, I am hoping I can get some answers from him as well.

197: We're all giving advice about non-ALS things because you gave not presented anything that makes us think you might possibly have ALS. Forget ALS.

Re: Spinal MRI. If you're doc wants it, do it. BUT, however, don't go there just because you think it's a good idea. Here's why:
The body is full of stuff that isn't quite right, but will never affect your life. If you go looking for bad stuff, you'll find it, and then you'll start on the road to unnecessary worry and unneeded surgery, etc.

Pronation/supination only indicate a structural imbalance. Sometimes congenital, sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to postural issues. Physiotherapists help resolve these issues on the regular. To go straight to ALS is like assuming lung cancer if you have a cough. When your neuro very likely tells you "no ALS" on Monday please consider taking yourself to a physiotherapist and working on the issues causing postural and gait disturbance.

Thank you again for all the input.

I met with my Nuero yesterday, who is the director of the ALS clinic, and he said my clinical exam looked just fine. No issues with reflexes and/or weakness. Stated he sees no reason for further testing. He mentioned that he believes the issues I am having is related to the BCFS and back issues. Recommended me to start stretching and strengthening my core and back.

I will take that advice and thank you all again for the replies.

Last edited:
closed, multi id

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back