Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Nevada
City
Reno
Hello all. I have been seeing a psychologist for the past 2 months and I was doing great until I found another troubling symptom this past 2 weeks. I started to do dumb bell work out at home to try and get back my normal workout routine. I lifted somewhat heavy for me doing curls with 35 lb dumbbells. All was good until after the workout i realized my left arm was not even able to to 1 curl of the same weight. The next day It was very sore (my bicep) and stayed very sore for the next 4 days but now the soreness is gone and still not able to curl that 35 pounds 1 time. I’ve read that people who have als will get weaker if they lift weights and i fear that’s what’s happening to me. I have always been so strong and never had anything like this happen to me before. Also I am a 22 year old male been dealing with this for over 2 years. I have a neuro appt in September but that feels like a lifetime from now. Do any of you great folks know if this sounds like an early als symptom? Thank you for your time all of you

Nope, Christian. Still not ALS. September seems appropriate.

What makes you say that? Isn’t that type of painless muscle weakness a trademark for ALS? I wasn’t too worried at first because I was sore so I figured I strained it which would explain the weakness. Also I should say that this same thing happened to my other bicep about 2 months ago after bowling but it returned to normal strength but I feel as if this left bicep is not getting better at all. Also, what do you mean that September is appropriate? Thank you again

Christian, you lifted a weight that was heavy for you, probably with little to no warmup, and after a long layoff.

Your muscles are sore. Duh! And now they are telling you not to curl 35 lb until they're ready. Smart muscles.

This isn't a symptom, this is real life, even when you're 22. Keep working with the psychologist, start with lower weights and stay off Google.

Best,
Laurie

Christain, almost two years to the date 6/30/16, Mike (Atsugi) replied this to your posts...

"I think this is the OP's fourth thread ignoring our advice. If he comes back,
I'll ban him."

I think you're still here at Mike's patience." :)

Oh yea, after re-reading your Threads... GregK's too (9/6/17)

"Post again and you'll be banned."

I think you're on real thin ice. :)

Last edited:
At 22 years old, a man is sure he's invincible, and he is constantly testing his limits. You will hit your limits often. You lifted a weight that exhausted your muscle--it may take days or weeks or even months to come back.

It's important to understand that your body is not the same from hour to hour. Nutrients, minerals, hormones and neurotransmitters are all changing throughout the day. There are simply times that your body can lift a big weight, and then times when attempting the exact same lift will be impossible. That's normal.

Don't press this subject. We have people here with limited energy who are dying to help you, and they shouldn't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back