Old 06-12-2018, 11:59 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Guernsey
State: Uk
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
Gazking is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Help please

Hi - I attended my GP/PCP recently because my left hand, in particular the back of the hand between the index finger and the largest finger, looks to have lost muscle/flesh and has a prominent indent, could i have thoughts on this please from the attached photos, i.e. does it look like wasting? I was told by the doctor to "wait three months and see how it goes" pending a possible neurologist referral.

By way of a brief medical history, 18 months of twitching - calves, feet, arms and back. Same period of time with a stiffness in the thighs, particularly the left, that makes walking appreciable distances uncomfortable, not sure if maybe some of the stiffness has been alleviated by carbamazepine which was prescribed after a neuro saw the twitches 16 months ago.

I note the stickies above but don't feel i'm functioning as comfortably as i was, say, 2 years ago.

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Help please-dfd7b52f-cb23-4e9f-8392-6357ccb96eaa.jpg   Help please-e4b6e9db-6608-474c-8129-5ed0203976c9.jpg  
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future
Very Helpful Member

City: Southern Oregon
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
KarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant futureKarenNWendyn has a brilliant future
Default Re: Help please

We really canít tell much from pictures. Most twitching is harmless as are dents. If youíre worried, it is best to see a neurologist. However, nothing in your post screams ALS/ MND.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond reputeAtsugi has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case the OP hopes for a second opinion:

There isn't one.

You've described getting older. Absolutely nothing in your post makes me think of...anything. Certainly no reason to consider ALS.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 AM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

ok - many thanks to the two who took the time to respond to me.
i'll wait it out, it was more the "ding" in the back of my hand that prompted the post along with everything else because the twitches have never caused me bother, stiffness in legs does though. That said, I've been able to put on 18lbs since "things" started 18 months ago through a mixture of increased eating and some upper body resistance work.
I like your profile photo, Atsugi, are you a pilot?
Closed Thread

Tags
back, finger, medical, muscle, neurologist, stiffness, twitches, twitching