00/0000
Country
US
State
CO
City
Aurora
Hello,

I'll preface this by saying that I've had an on-again off-again fear of ALS that began 7 years ago, when I first noticed diffuse muscle twitches across my body and made the mistake of consulting Dr. Google. At that time (7 years ago) I informed myself about the nature of ALS symptoms and overcame my fear through the knowledge that I did not have any clinical weakness. I never consulted a PCP or neurologist and the fear simply vanished. Here I am, 7 years later and still twitching, so I rationalized that if I had ALS I would have significant symptoms by now or worse.

With that being said, I was in the gym a couple weeks ago and, while walking with dumbbells in my hands, experienced a very slight, almost instantaneous sensation of weakness in my right thigh. My leg didn't "give out" and my stride wasn't really affected, but the (very) slight "dipping"/giving-out of the muscle was enough to catch my attention...and reignite my fear of ALS. The "weakness" did not last longer than a second, has not occurred since, and there is no detectable weakness in the leg in question (I've been testing it since this time haha). I am a 32 year old very physically fit male and the poundages of my leg lifts are staying the same or even increasing.

So, is this momentary weakness that I experienced concerning or symptomatic of early-stage MND? I consulted an online doctor about this and he said not to worry at all and that a consult with a neurologist was unnecessary. Should I be satisfied with this answer and move on, chalking this up to something benign?

Thanks for your time and help,
T

Seven years of symptoms and no detectable weakness on exam — what the heck are you doing here?

Well, I'm here out of a hypochondriacal fear I suppose haha, or a degree of reassurance or seeing if my symptom warranted an evaluation. I was just concerned about the weakness I described, but it isn't consistent with ALS symptoms (per the sticky). So I guess I answered my own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back