Lost a loved one
Country
Gr
State
Attika
City
Athens
Dear all

I also have gone through the hell of fearing having als. After my father was diagnosed and during his battle with the illness ,i was there and doing the best to support him.

After he was gone i began to examine every twitch that lasted more than a few days and even did two emg's.

The second was done ,despite the opinion of my neuro ,who reassured me after a thorough exam that i was perfectly fine. He consulted me to seek some counseling instead ,for what he correctly assumed is an anxiety disorder.

Despite his reassurance i went ahead and had the emg anyway, paid by my own pocket.Of course it came back clean, the same day i had the most horrible new fasciculations. Apparently i thought i knew better than the trained professional who has gone through years of studying to get a medical degree. My fear got the best of my sanity.

I even contemplated on posting on this forum, and use the precious time of all the people here and especially of the heroes that are battling als. That's how self centered my fears had made me.

So a word of advice, if i may. Get control of your fears and stop pretending you understand a very complex disease. Do what you have to do to get rid of health anxiety ,respect the precious time of Pals,and most importantly
TRUST YOUR DOCTOR!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow Greek. Sorry for your dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back