Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Tacoma
I am 55 years old and noticed that it seemed harder working out , like all over weakness , mainly in my legs and knees for sure , the knees felt like they are giving out, with lots of pain, and swelling in the back, I do have baker cyst on the back of them, since 2004, but this pain seemed different . My hands hurt allot and feel kinda tight when i spread the fingers , mainly when i push on top of my thumb area , then really feel it.
My main concern is i noticed that my toes curl down and i have numbness and pins and needle feeling , they locked up a few times at night and i had to take my hands to pull them up. Also have swelling on the sides of my ankles, and i think it looks dented in , under that
When i stretch my feet out or point them, it feels like almost my ligaments or pulling or something , even when i just move my ankles around. That does not go on all day , just concerned on why , and why my toes are curled under , that worries me allot , thank you

Attachments

• first image.jpg
    first image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Stacy, you have described a number of sensory symptoms — pain, swelling, tightness, numbess. None of these suggest ALS. ALS is a disease of the motor neurons — the ones that control muscle function. ALS is about failing, not feeling.

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum, that says “read before posting”.

Start wirh an evaluation by your primary care provider. But ALS is not on the table for you. :)

Thank you for answering back, i thought some of these things can come with it. My hands and legs feel a bit weaker too, and that one feels odd when i walk, that could be due to the numbness and the other stuff due to the pain, swelling etc Trying to mellow out and not go into more health anxiety, and keep looking for symptoms , was just more about the arms, legs that seem to be more weak with weird sensations , and the toes curled under like that
Bless you
Stacy

Last edited:
But isn't muscle weakness a sign of ALS , like when i walk feel weaker in the legs, etc
or when using my hands
very confused here

Stacy- please be patient when posting a new reply. New members need to have their posts approved before they will show. This protects the forum from spammers. If you do not see your replies immediately, no need to post again, just wait a little bit to see them.

Thank you

Stacy, Karen's advice is spot on -- see your primary care physician, who can answer these questions and more, in the context of your own body.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you, I will....I am just freaking out scared
I thought that i read that atrophy does come with numbness in feet or hands? The pain is not always there in my right foot ...it has happened though , at night, and when waking up, when i had to stretch them, it was on like the sides of foot,like ligaments pulling, but lately that has not happened , just concerned why my right foot and toes are numb , mainly toes lately
On my knees , i was walking and felt like they were giving out , that did come with pain. Like when i touch on an area on each knee , there is pain. That i have had , but seems worse
its the weakness when i stand is what i can't figure out, unless its the knees that always hurt . I guess its the right foot and the numb toes that are worrying me allot. And how my toes curl like they do. I did notice that when i squeeze my ankles , mainly on my right side, there is pain. in fact above the ankle a bit . I was diagnosed with Fibromaygia in 2004, but never really had weakness, allot of pain. This foot thing is new , it would go numb at night, but not stay numb and all strange feeling ..... and my baker cyst , where always there , but that all went away for awhile , now all came back.....but my roomate just said the way i am describing my right foot is called atrophy and i never said anything about ALS to him. And that just scared the crap out of me . Also used the word neuropathy - And i don't have diabetes for sure, so what the heck is this with my right foot and toes , and kinda feel weak when i try and walk , or go for a walk , and stand and cook etc . I have not done allot of physical activity for like 6 months , had just started up, trying to walk more, and excercise a bit and i sure feel way weaker than when i could like 7 months ago or so . But then he reads to me that , this all could be an onset , cuz of the foot being numb , and one of my hands goes numb, but that goes away , but weak in that area also, not sure if that is from the pain and stiffness

Stacy,

Fibromyalgia can cause all the symptoms you listed.....and more.

You need to keep working with your doctors and, for your own good, stop thinking about ALS. Focusing on ALS will only give you more symptoms and make the ones you have worse. Focus outwardly until you and your doctor(s) have solutions.

In the meantime, counseling wouldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back