Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Arkansas
City
Little rock
Hi! I have been a lurker here for awhile now and decided it is time for me to post. Please do not be afraid to tell me I am crazy or that I don't have a reason being here, but I wanted to address my worries. I know you all are battling, know or have lost someone with this terrible disease, and the last thing I want to do is seem insensitive.

I am a 31 year old female and working mother of 2. About a year ago I started to have weakness in my left side...both arm and leg. The weakness is a very slight limp in my walk and my left arm/hand has grip weakness...noted by the doc. This was preceded by an odd dizziness.

I went to my GP and he told me to come back if symptoms didn't improve...I did and he ordered a brain MRI with and without contrast. This came back normal...that eased my worries, but symptoms persisted and I was eventually referred to a neurologist who ordered an MRI of the cervical spine. This also came back normal, but I did have 2 minor disc bulges but no trapped nerves...nothing that would cause my symptoms. I was supposed to follow up and get an EMG done the other month, but I am now pregnant with my 3rd and life has gotten in the way.

Since then I have developed twiches...mainly in my left side. One day my forearm muscle twitched for about 24 hours straight. Otherwise my twitches are random, but mainly in my left arm. I don't feel as though my weakness has gotten much worse, which is reassuring , but it does seem as though I grab things differently with my left hand. Like my fingers want to stay straight instead of bending. My arm tires very quickly when holding my phone in my left hand or using the blow dryer and it also seems as if my left hand is trying extra hard to type, I also still have a slight limp..

I know these seem minor and probably silly to anyone with ALS, but honestly the twitching is what brought me here. It really worries me that I have weakness and fasiculations. Anyway, thank you for your time. I do plan on following up with my neurologist ASAP, but in the meantime, what do you think of these symptoms?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I think is pretty irrelevant in this case, because you have the ability to get an EMG and thereby get much more reliable information than I can dream up.

I don't think you have ALS, but why not cut the cards relative to some other possible neurological issue? For example, you could have nerve damage in your arm, that PT might help.

Since you are pregnant (congrats!), I would also have your iron, magnesium, B12 checked and since the blood tests are not all that for these, consider low-dose empiric supplementation in concert with your PCP. And an RLS screen.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your response. I definitely should get the eMG...honestly I'm still paying off my MRIs...even with insurance those things are expensive. Thinking an EMG is cheaper, though...hopefully. I have had blood tests and all came back normal. The doc has mentioned a pinched nerve in my arm but he said that wouldn't explain my leg weakness. Thanks again. I will be making a follow up appt.

The emg being the gold standard in all things neurological. And I don't believe it would harm your child (congrats!). I would have the test done for no other reason than peace of mind. You don't want to spend what should be a happy time worrying about a disease you probably don't have.
Vincent

I would add Vitamin D to the blood test recommendation. Did you get a copy of your blood work so you know what was tested?

If it were me, I'd have the EMG. It might turn up some things physical therapy can help.

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back