Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Nevada
City
Reno
Hello all, I would like to thank anyone who has the time to respond. For the last 2 years ive battled I fear that I have ALS it started two years ago when I started twitching everywhere and felt an odd sensation in my right thumb and fingers of course I Google it and thought I had ALS and started it. Downward spiral I have always been a severe hypochondriac and I went and saw several doctors and therapists including to neurologist both of which said they didn't see anything worrisome however my last nerve appointment was almost a year ago and about 3 months ago I noticed I had some difficulty writing and it has gotten worse over the past 3 months. I can still hold a pen however when I try to write it's like my brain isn't telling my fingers what to do I will get stuck on some letters and numbers for example writing the number 3 is very difficult for me. My writing has gotten choppy and a bit slower in the last couple of weeks I'm very worried because I know that people with the disease sometimes present with difficulty writing and I was just wondering if any of you presented with these symptoms? Again thank you for the time that any of you could spare to answer this question.

Depending on your age and history, difficulty writing could suggest ruling out Parkinson's. But more likely, there are other causes such as lack of sleep, anxiety, etc.

You might check in with the neurologist to reassure yourself, but ALS does not seem part of the picture.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. I am only a 22 yo male, no family history of ALS

Mod note: Past threads here:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/32894-really-scared.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/38508-1-year-now-new-symptom-appears.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/41224-clinical-weakness.html

You may find some solutions and further expert feedback and observations from a physiotherapist. Frankly, they can do a much better job at structural assessment, logging weakness and tracking changes over time than a gp or neuro ever could. Plus they can come up with solutions on how to rehabilitate or work around restrictions and weaknesses. While your symptoms, after two years of posting here, do not fit a pattern of ALS, you should definitely keep working with the experts at getting whatever it is sorted out.

Christian,

You are a confirmed hypochondriac who has admitted to have always had severe health anxiety. You have also shared that your are seeing a psychiatrist and are on anti-anxiety meds. Since you have been posting here for nearly two years, I would conclude that the meds and current psychiatric help are not working. While I refuse to feed into your fantasy of having ALS, I will gently suggest that perhaps you should look at getting deeper psychological help than you are currently getting and ask if there are meds that would better address your hypochondria. What you are doing now for help is clearly not working.

Please also remind yourself that you are on a forum where people actually do have ALS and caregivers of those who do. Your non-symptomatic ALS questions over what is now going on 2 years takes time from these forum members.

Again, please look further into deeper help for yourself. You are 22 years old; don't waste your youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back