Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SVK
State
Slovakia
City
Bratislava
Hello everyone, I am a 19 years old High school student and last year was a total nightmare for me and now it continues. I do not know what is happening with me but it scares the hell out of me. So I hope you can help me to understand these symptoms and help me maybe because i am desperate, docs are desperate and they too do not know what is happening.

So it all started after a leg injury where ultrasound was needed to check for injuries. Instead of telling me that everything is fine I was told that my muscles are weak in docs opinion and I should see a neuro. I was surprised because I was athletic and I was running a cycling regularly and everything was fine. by the time I was about to make an appointment with neuro twitching has started. It has started in legs and spread everywhere shortly.

Then extreme fatigue and muscle tiredness came so I was unable to cycle and run like before. Actually my muscles got really tired after small exertion.

It continued with more than 1 year of tests and I literally got all the tests done, 3 MRIs, every possible blood test in the world basically everything had good results except EMG. Had 3 EMGs from which 2 of them were slightly bad. By bad I mean there were some polyphasic potentials and some myogenic lesion but I don’t know what does these terms mean.

After a year I got a diagnosis of depression, generalized anxiety disorder and Benign Fasciculation syndrome. Not sure If I can trust the doctors because I cannot cycle anymore, run like before and my muscles are extremely fatigued and shaky.

And 2 days ago I was carrying some wood into house and after that I noticed my left thumb is really weak. Then I found out I lost almost all my strength in the thumb. I cannot grip anything with it. It lost almost all of its strength.

Now I have a really bad feeling that I was misdiagnosed and I have some serious issue. Please is here someone who can tell what this can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Myogenic means a problem with a muscle.if anything it would point toward a muscle disease. ALS is not a muscle disease and your EMG says look elsewhere

If your doctors thought the myogenic lesion was significant I would have thought they would have explained it and pursued that path. If you are having issues go back to the doctor and asking whether muscle diseases need to explored. Since they gave you a diagnosis list that did not include anything related to that EMG they may have decided it was an insignificant blip but they should explain it to you.

Either way ALS does not seem to be the issue. Good luck in your search for answers

Last edited:
Ask for a re-evaluation of your diagnosis based on your new symptoms. If you don't think your docs are up for it, you always have the option of a second opinion. Even if you have a muscle problem that cannot be fixed with medicine, physiotherapy and lifestyle changes might help.

But Nikki is right -- ALS is a different direction from the findings you have shared. And that is great news.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back