Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
First, I want to thank all the contributors to this forum especially PALS/CALS. I do recognize that your time is valuable. Yet, you devote so much time to helping others (a large percentage of people that don't have anything that remotely resembles ALS) which is truly remarkable.

About 10 months ago I had reached out through this forum to get some feedback regarding twitching and other symptoms I was experiencing. I read the stickies and thought they were really helpful in understanding this disease process. I would never have even thought ALS, but I made the mistake of accessing Dr. Google which is a huge mistake for anyone with health anxiety.

I have experienced body-wide twitching for about 10 months. I feel them in my arms and legs mostly. It is not constant and seems to come and go. Since the twitching started, I have never experienced weakness and I am still able to do everything that I was able to do pre-twitching.

Recently, I have been experiencing twitching and flutters in the diaphragm area. I also have some perceived shortness of breath (I cannot truly judge if it is actual shortness of breath or something brought on by anxiety). The twitching just below the sternum has brought me down the rabbit hole again especially in light of the shortness of breath.

I find myself trying to take deep breaths lately which may be aggravating that muscle thus causing twitching. I really don't know.

Just looking for some feedback. I have been lurking lately and saw some threads about respiratory onset (which as I understand it is rare). Do these symptoms fit that profile?

Thanks

No. Twitching usually begins in only one place, then spreads. I suppose it can be widespread if one doesn't notice it when it begins.

Please go back and read the stickies again. Twitching alone means nothing. It can be caused by anxiety, too much caffeine. dehydration, lack of sleep, Vitamin deficiencies, and many other things.

We can't help you with health anxiety so I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor who can help you. If your breathing worries you, see a pulmonary doctor and have your breathing assessed.

Best wishes.

No. Twitching usually begins in only one place, then spreads. I suppose it can be widespread if one doesn't notice it when it begins.

Please go back and read the stickies again. Twitching alone means nothing. It can be caused by anxiety, too much caffeine. dehydration, lack of sleep, Vitamin deficiencies, and many other things.

We can't help you with health anxiety so I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor who can help you. If your breathing worries you, see a pulmonary doctor and have your breathing assessed.

Best wishes.

Thank you Kim. My twitching did begin in the bicep area and quickly spread after that. Again, no weakness after 10 months. My only concern was the recent onset of shortness of breath and new area of twitching.

Thanks for your time and input.

Past posts here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3923168

I see zero note here about whether you have seen a doctor. I will preface the entire message below with this (and you already know this): Twitching on its own means nothing. You know you show zero pattern of ALS symptoms. If you did, you'd be further along a diagnosis pathway after a year.

This forum can not replace a face to face with a doctor about your concerns and having a clinical exam. If you have not done so, go see a doctor and talk to them about your symptoms and go from there. You don't show a pattern of ALS symptoms, but that's not to say you don't have something. What are you doing about it? What are you doing to seek relief from your symptoms?

If you have been to see a doctor, what is the conclusion? What are the next steps?

If you are dealing with anxiety in addition to, or a result of, your symptoms, what are you doing to relieve these symptoms? If you aren't doing anything, why not? Is researching on an ALS website a good idea if you are worried about ALS? Is this a good way to receive medical attention?

You have been here for a year and you know the routine. This forum simply can not replace actual medical care and attention. Returning to post here without visiting with a doctor (or if you have, not reporting what they have told you) is not productive. If you are posting here instead of visiting a doctor, it is not a good use of your time or ours. If you are going to focus on an incredibly rare expression of an already rare disease, you need to get to work on getting medical attention for that concern as there is simply no way for anyone here to help you diagnose yourself with it.

Sorry bud, looking at yoru past posting history, I see zero real effort to pursue an actual diagnosis and a lot of time spent asking people on an ALS forum to confirm something you are worried about, but show no real signs of.

I would think very carefully about continuing to carry on a conversation here instead of going to see a doctor.

Last edited:
If you think you may have an issue with breathing, see your PCP who can, unlike us, listen to your lungs and heart for any abnormalities.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back