Other
Country
FRA
State
RHONE
City
Lyon
Hello everyone
I'm french so i am deeply sorry if my english is sometimes approximative.
I have been experiencing tiring symptoms from more than 2 years now and i hope you could tell me what you think about it.

I am a female of 27 years old now but my problems began when I was 25.

I was a sportive young woman who liked to run 3 times a week. One day I noticed i lost weight and became quickly really flaccid, very tired and the right part of my body was contracted from my eye to my foot, even at rest. I was so worried that i did not went to see a doctor. 3 weeks later i felt less tired and the stiffness disapeared but i remained flaccid. I could still run.

6 months later, it started again, very very tired, my right part was kind of contracted but that time i started to feel a weakness in my thigh and my arm. I could not run like i was used to and when i went to the swimming pool my arm hurt and stayed like heavy for several days. I went to see a doctor who did a brief neurological exam and saw nothing in particular but he wanted me to do an MRI of by back to try to explain the thigh pb but the MRI was OK. Then he wrote a letter to a neurologist and wanted me to take an appointement but i delayed as i was organizing my wedding and I figured out I was pregnant.

My pregnancy was really OK, my "heavy" arm was sometimes a little boring but i avoided to use it and my thigh was ok because i could not run with my big belly !

A month after I gave birth (in january), once more I experienced this tiredness with stiffness of my right side from eye to foot. Plus I noticed my wedding ring was too large and both my hands were flatter than before (my skin on my hand looks distended), my two little fingers are weaker too. Gradually some fasciculations appeared on my whole body, sometimes I have spasms and a member moves (a finger, a leg or an arm), i have a lot of saliva and swallowing is tougher as if my jaw is really contracted. I dont have fasciculations on my tongue and i think my tongue is normal even if it hurts a little as if the top burns.

My doctor noticed a very little clinical weakness in my right arm and so she sent me to do blood exams which does not reveal anything apart from Antinuclear antobodies at 320 but nothing important according to her. I also an MRI of the head but my brain is OK so no MS. I have the MRI of my spine on friday. I went to see a neurologist in a ALS center because when i called them and explained what happened to me they wanted to see me in emergency. The clinical exam was normal and the emg was normal as well. The doctor did not notice any fasciculations during the emg and he tested 8 muscles with the needle in my right part and everything was perfectly normal.

Could it be possible that i suffer from a strange kind of ALS or MND ? It s getting worse every week, i can barely walk 5 minutes and my arm is really heavy everytime so I wonder if the emg was not done too early ? But it would be strange because i have had symptoms for 2 years... It is like the disease i suffered from just became worse since I gave birth.
I really thank you for your answers and send you all my remaining strentgh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Salut Zazargh, I have great news pour tois. An EMG will pick up denervation/renervation long before symptoms appear. And ALS does not get better, ever. I wouldn't worry about ALS. There are lots of other things it could be. Keep working with your doctor to figure this out.
Vincent

Thank you very much for your answer !
I would not say that i get better, every time I face a big tiredness I have new difficulties that appeared and they dont leave me... I have to adapt (no more running, no more swimming pool, and now no more sunday walking with my family and no more shopping because i can't wear bags for a long time). I totally agree an EMG would have noticed something but I was wondering if it could be possible regarding my story that I suffered from an Upper motoneurone disease that turned into an ALS recently (fasciculations appeared in march and maybe bulbar symptoms too). As the emg was made 2 or 3 weeks after fasciculations began, could it be too early to detect something,?

An EMG cannot be done too early. Last May an EMG detected issues with my husband's right forearm. He had no symptoms whatsoever. 2 weeks ago, I saw my husband fumbling with the zipper on our carry on luggage. He said that his right hand has been giving him issues ever since. So between findings on an EMG and symptoms, it's been nearly a year. That's how far in advance the EMG picked up denervation/renervation.

Hope that makes you feel better. Continue working with your doctors to find a solution to whatever is going on. There are some smart cookies in France, so I'm sure you'll come to a resolution soon.

Btw, we just got back from Paris and Dinan last week. C'etaite magnifique!

Good luck!

Salut Zazargh!

I agree with Vincent!

Angie

Thank you a lot for your answers ! Merci ! :)
I hope you are right and i ll have to wait the end of May when i go back to the neuro with my last analysis.
God bless you
Elsa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back