Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
Uk
City
Uk
Hello all. Thank you for having me here.
I'm very confused as to what us going on with me neurological my, so in going to give you the background.

2 years ago I had a baby by c section (spinal anaesthesia) and since thus date I have gradually been suffering neurological decline. I have been experiencing fasciculation throughout the right side of my body mostly with cramping in my legs and arms and neck face. The basics started in my face ( lip and mouth area) about three months ago and there is now a slight weakness in the right side of my face. This is visible when pointed out to people. A month ago the fasciculations started on an area at the top in my tongue and it is there constantly in the same place. I have dizziness, difficulty heating up and Temp drops regularly. I had an mri of Brain and spine which is "normal" and underwent nerve conduction and EMG. Results as follows, "borderline sensory responses, slowing of median conduction across right wrist, EMG showed chronic neuropathic features from L2-L5, F wave responses bilaterally delayed. Obviously I am here as the above results , along with the slight but permanent facial weakness in my left side face along with fasciculation s all over but mostly in lower face and now most alarmingly my tongue In one place permanently, along with slight speech changes with regards to pronunciation and mild drooling from left side if mouth. All help ok s most welcome. Thank you for reading

Last edited:
When you asked your neurologist to explain, what was his/her explanation?

I don't see the words active and chronic denervation anywhere. Did they rule ALS out?

Hi Kim,

Thank you for your reply. Nuero response was he doesn't know what is wrong with me but that ms Parkinson's etc had been ruled out. I'd it the case that chronic or active denervation should show up on my EMG / nerve conduction to point in the direction of ALS?

On the EMG part, it should show both chronic and active changes to even consider ALS.

I really think you should call your neuro and ask him what is left on the table and what is your next step.

There are so many things that can make a NCS and EMG abnormal. Everything from carpel tunnel syndrome to pinched nerves. Some people have abnormal NCS and EMG with no answers but in ALS the EMG shows predictable patterns which should jump out and correspond with clinical weakness.

Thanks for the feedback kIm
I wouldn't have even really taken much. Price of the results on the ncs but when the weakness and musclE twitching started it changed my thoughts completely .

KitKatt, what did the summary/conclusion on the last page of the EMG report say?

If you don't have a copy... get one. That's the key thing to put your mind to rest or be concerned.

Hi thanks for your reply, it basically says, f waves bilaterally delayed. Chronic neuropathic. Features in lumbar spine - but I do have damage there already. Also compressed ulnar nerve and carpal tunnel. I have been diagnosed with lower limb ridiculopthy but that was before the facial weakness. What would an EMG pointing towards ALS state?

No... the last page of an EMG report will have a summary/conclusion. Last page - last paragraph.

If you don't have a summary/conclusion (which would rare as ALS itself) call or Email your Neuro.

Come back after you have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back