Old 03-30-2018, 01:23 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Macedon
State: New York
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
kevin77 is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
Default Looking for advice

hello everyone. I am 28 years old, I have had tingling and muscle twitching in the bottom of my left foot and left calf for over four months. I finally went to the DR. he did a neurological examine. (had me stand on my toes, heels, pushed on my legs, feet, up and down, squeezed fingers etc. He said everything is normal. even put a vibrating thing on my foot and asked me to tell him when it stopped. All was normal. He sent me for blood work to check my CK levels as well as Lyme disease, vitamins, and thyroid etc. My potassium came back a little low. But is concerning is that they said my CK was slightly elevated. they said normal range is between 32-294 and mine was 326. I had surgery to repair a ligament tear in my shoulder 11 weeks ago. So my question I guess is, hypothetically speaking if I did have ALS would I have progressed further by now, would anything else have manifested itself? My uncle passed away for ALS last year and it was not only terrifying but absolutly heart breaking for my family. (it is not genetic btw). lastly, From what I can tell I have no muscle weakness other than my shoulder which is about as strong as a babies arm due to the surgery.

side note, went to a nero 6 years ago, they did an emg and said I had MD, went through four months of testing and a muscle biopsy for them to tell me opps... made a mistake your fine. I have severe anxiety and I dread going back to see one.

thanks everyone and god bless you all.

Last edited by kevin77 : 03-30-2018 at 02:00 PM
Old 03-30-2018, 05:10 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to beholdClearwater AL is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking for advice

Kevin, as you wrote above...

"Hello everyone. I am 28 years old, I have had tingling and muscle twitching in the bottom of my left foot and left calf for over four months. I finally went to the DR. he did a neurological examine. (had me stand on my toes, heels, pushed on my legs, feet, up and down, squeezed fingers etc. He said everything is normal. even put a vibrating thing on my foot and asked me to tell him when it stopped. All was normal. He sent me for blood work to check my CK levels as well as Lyme disease, vitamins, and thyroid etc. My potassium came back a little low. But is concerning is that they said my CK was slightly elevated. they said normal range is between 32-294 and mine was 326."

You're good to go. Case closed.

Same as your Thread back in December. You were assured then... you don't have ALS.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Clearwater AL : 03-30-2018 at 05:16 PM
Old 03-30-2018, 05:11 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond reputeKimT has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin,

Nothing you posted sounds like ALS to me.

Levels of CK can rise after skeletal muscle injury, strenuous exercise, or drinking too much alcohol, and from taking certain medicines or supplements. Your doctor will probably want to re-test you.

It's hard to watch someone with ALS progress and I'm sorry you had to go through that so young.

Just work with your doctor and take ALS off the table.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:24 PM #4 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

New Member (Say Hi)

Thanks for the replies everyone! MUCH APPRECIATED. I used to be around 195 pounds 3 months before my surgery. I was in a sling and sat on the couch for 2 months straight and lost a ton of muscle mass as I couldn't do anything. I'm hoping the CK levels are either from surgery or from the PT that I am doing. My family and I where on A&E intervention for my sister, so I stay far, far away from alcohol. I wish more people in life where as understanding as you both. Thanks again.

"There is no doubt mankind will find a cure for ALS, the question is just a matter of when" (Ralph Brongo)
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, als, anxiety, arm, back, emg, family, fingers, foot, genetic, heart, lyme, lyme disease, mistake, muscle, muscle biopsy, muscle twitching, muscle weakness, shoulder, surgery, testing, twitching, vitamins, weakness, work