CihanY

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
GE
Hey guys,
first of all, I'm very sorry for all your struggles with ALS and I do not wish anyone to have this terrible disease.

About me, I am very scared of ALS for like 3 weeks now. It all started about 9 months ago.
I've started having very strong coughing issues while eating/ even drinking and also while being stressed. 5 Months ago I also had pain swallowing, sometimes couldn't swallow and there was pain on the right side of my neck. I've went to the doctor and he was sure about me having Reflux, which he gave me medicine for (Pantoprazole). 3 Weeks after it didn't get better at all, only the pain while swallowing was gone ( and still is gone), but I've started having this twitch in my left hand, which moved into my whole body the next day and to this day, it still twitches everywhere every 5-10 seconds while laying or sitting. 4 weeks into Pantoprazole, I've started having strong stomach issues, pain all over my chest (still have) and musclepain between my neck and shoulder (still have ), went to the hospital and they did a Esophagogastroduodenoscopy and found a esophagitis. They've recommended me to take more Pantoprazole, took the medicine for 3 months, with barely any effect, but the stomach pain went away. They also diagnosed a pretty big hiatal hernia.
Because the medicine barely worked and I also stopped using it, I decided to get surgery done on my esophagus, so a hospital ran tests for 3 days and told me that I've had no issues with my esophagos (???).
Ever since that hospital visit I've started having sleeping issues ( I wake up every 2-3 hours, mostly sleep 4 hours every night), a week later my hands and feet started to fall asleep on a regular basis, my muscles are shaking if I tense them or work out (especially my arms and upper body), my left hand is shaking (especially in the morning), my head is aching every other day, my chewing muscles feel weak and stiff for 2 weeks now, i sometimes have issues with food coming up my throat (once a week), I sometimes cant burp ( there is a lot of air in my throat), coughing has gotten way better, but I still cough like crazy especially after working out.
I've went to a pretty good neurologist in my city and she did one EMG on my left leg and found 2 fasziculations, but it was good overall, all other tests were negative.
Went to a neurology hospital for 4 days, every Test (MRI, LIquor) was negative, they did 2 EMG tests on both legs, found 2 fasziculations on my right leg, but was good overall. They didn't take me serious though, because I am really having anxiety issues about ALS for 3 weeks now (prior to that it was about other serious diseases and the last 5 months have taking a toll on my body/mind). So they've diagnosed me with psychic issues.
The part, which still worries me is the stiffness im mouth, the pain in my shoulder, the constant twitching of muscles everywhere in my body, also them shaking like crazy if I tense them, I also feel like I can't chew as strong as before, I nearly tripped 4 times in the last 4 weeks, sometimes things fall off my hand.
On the other hand, my swallowing issues have gotten way better (still not the best), coughing has gotten less, I've always had a shaky/quiet voice, which is still the same, my tongue has no issues and all I think and talk about is ALS, I look things up on the internet, feel sad because of it and I am kinda getting depressed with the imagination of having it.
So, there are obvious sings of bulbar palsy, but everything started kinda 9/5 months ago and I kinda feel worse, but still am able to do anything. I am still scared as hell and would be interested if anyone has had any advice/ same experience as me.
I know it is very unlikely for a 25 year old, but things happen/especially if the symptoms are there.

Best regards,
Cihan

Hi there

The only thing that jumps out to me about your post is anxiety. There are no "obvious" bulbar issues or any other ALS related issues such as you think there are.

My advice, work with your doctors for your anxiety and enjoy being 25 years old. Should you have any further questions, please refer to the above "read before posting" sticky at the top of the DIHALS forum.

Take good care. You don't need to be here, which is great news for you.

Again, work on your health anxiety issues.

Cihan,

I agree that ALS is not really on the table. Which is good!

Since there seems to be a difference of opinion about your stomach/esophagus, and since pain in these organs can affect your upper body, I would consider a second gastroenterology opinion at an academic hospital, or a first visit with an ear/nose/throat physician. Feeling that you have difficulty eating and are coughing too much can contribute to many of the issues you mentioned, yet often it can relate to a real lump in your throat or mouth that can be treated, an ulcer and other things like that.

I do not think you have a nerve disease. Still, a good massage and maybe some other physio might help your shoulder. Shoulders get tense when we are stressed and are not sleeping, for sure.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks to both of you.

Just went to a doctor and did a lung test, capacity and sound is fine, which is a good sign I think.
I already had couple appointments at ear/nose/throat physicians, but I just made another one to find the real reason for my dysphagia issues. Also probably going to get a second/third gastroenterology opinion.
For my anxiety issues, I already have therapy planned, but all these muscle twitches/shaking in my body still scare me. Just to think about it, 5 months ago I was the happiest person and now I am anxious 24/7.

Anyway, thanks to both of you and all of you guys, I wish you guys the best and even/hopefully if I don't have ALS, I am still happy that I now know more about it and will try to help ( especially as a probable speech language therapist).
Thanks again and stay strong,
Cihan

Abnormal EMG

Hey just wanted to ask about an abnormal EMG, because none of my neurologist told me anything nor I can't find reliable information on the internet.

So, what is an abnormal EMG, is it already abnormal if fasziculations can be found or does it have to be more than that.
I have had 3 EMG's done on my legs, which I don't really feel pain/weakness in and in 2 areas there were 2 fasziculations found, which worries me a lot.

best regards,
Cihan

Kindly stay on one thread to keep posting history together. Please review the post at the top of this subforum read before posting. It answers many questions and also has posting guidelines

Fasciculations on an emg are not going to make it classified as abnormal. Further, there are MANY reasons people have abnormal EMGs ( again yours was not abnormal) and they can be abnormal in many ways. The abnormalities in ALS are a combination of specific findings in multiple muscle groups You obviously had none of these if they only saw fasciculations

Last edited:
Thank you and alright, I am happy to hear that!

Cihan

So I have one more question. Do bulbar symptoms get better?
I've had pain swallowing like 5 months ago, but it is gone now. Now i only have respitiration from time to time, this weird feel in my larynx, my voice has been quiete and understandable forever, but now I feel like it has gotten worse, sometimes I can't burp, my neck and chin muscles really do feel weak and stiff. I went to an ENT doctor and he send me to a dysphagia test. Besides I have muscle twitching everywhere. Is there like any test to prove or rule out ALS, like an EMG in my face or something?

Oh my goodness, you've asked the same questions three different ways and very knowledgeable people have already answered you. At this point, I'm not going to answer your question because you've already been given the answer. Please go see your doctor for further questions. You don't have ALS, and you've been told that. Go enjoy life, get a new hobby and give to those less fortunate. There's nothing on this site that is relevant to you and that's a very good thing.

Do take care. Goodbye.

Bulbar symptoms continue to progress. You do not have ALS. Please respect our community and ask your doctors for answers.

Yeah I would like to progress, but I still have the same issues as 5-9 months ago. I even have atrophy in my right calf now,which is smaller than my left calf by quite a bit and I also feel it being weak while walking/ up stairs.

The stiffness in my chin and chewing muscles are also getting worse plus the severe pain in my right shoulder.
I'm seeing another Neuro on monday, but I really doubt that this is anything besides a MND, especially because I was already tested for a lot things.

Anyways have a fun life everyone.

ChanY, as you wrote previously last month...

"I have had 3 EMG's done on my legs, which I don't really feel pain/weakness in and in 2 areas there were 2 fasziculations found, which worries me a lot."

And...

"because none of my neurologists told me anything."

You were told nothing because there was... NOTHING concerning ALS or MND there.

Maybe three, tomorrow four Neurologists?

You do not have ALS.

Last edited:
I was not told anything, because no one takes me seriously as 25 year old dealing with anxiety issues about a probable fatal disease. You guys probably know it better than I do, but anxiety is just a regular thing if you have the symptoms of ALS.

Every neurologist I've went to just made fun of me and didn't even bother to check/listen to me correctly. And it's probably going to be the same on monday. Just because I am 25 it doesn't mean that I can't have this disease. It is not about the chances, it is about facts.

Anyways, thanks and see you guys on monday.

CihanY,

You're told "no" that you don't have ALS not because of your age, but because you do not have ALS due to clinical testing, EMGs, and report of symptoms. Everything you've written sounds nothing at all like ALS. Your soon to be four neurologists (because the one you'll see Monday will concur with the other three), do not see ALS because of facts, not your whimsical reports of you thinking you do.

When you see a neurologist, they are analyzing the way you hold your body, from the way you walk, hold objects or move your arms or hands. If you are doing all of these things like someone who does not have ALS, together with strength tests and clean EMGs, than they will say you don't have ALS. There are certain ways that someone with ALS moves, whether its hands, a foot etc. You clearly don't have issues with movements, hence, no ALS.

It's time to leave this clinging fixation with a fatal disease. You're 25 years old, go enjoy being 25 years old. There are actually people your age diagnosed with ALS and I'm sure they'd give anything to be in your shoes, living life without such a terrible diagnosis.

We look forward to hearing the fourth neurologist concur with the other three Monday. Lucky you. Perhaps when you get that fourth opinion, you'll finally be able to move on with your life.

You guys probably know it better than I do, but anxiety is just a regular thing if you have the symptoms of ALS.

We guys probably DO know it better than you do, that's why EVERYONE keeps telling you, you don't have ALS. My boyfriend didn't get anxious when he wasn't diagnosed yet. At that time his legs were already failing him but he wasn't feeling weaker.
They put him in a hospital for four days, too. That is being taken seriously, by the way. The neurologist did the same tests they did with you. But the results were different so what they told him was different.
You don't have ALS. Not because you're too young or not heard right. But because YOU DON'T HAVE ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back