Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Rising Sun
Hi Everyone,

I hope that you're doing well.

My name is Kevin and I have seen my Primary Care Physician and 3 Different Neurologists up until about a month and a half ago.

About 6 months ago - I started noticing a pain in my left foot. I didn't think anything of it and it just kept getting worse. I went to my PCP eventually and they told me that I have a flat foot on my left side. I don't ever remember having a flat foot.

I also started getting tingling throughout my fingers and feet going numb easily and then after a while started having cognitive problems with minor cognitive decline.

I went to see three different neurologists, two of which I don't really like and I don't think that they know what they are talking about. The third is a pretty good Neurologist.

I had an MRI of my brain which showed some non-specific lesions throughout my brain and two EMG's (one about six months ago and one recently within two months). Both EMG's were negative for anything. I also had a normal neurological exam three times.

I am very worried about having ALS because of the flat foot. My voice has also been hoarse at times and I've been clearing my throat a lot. I've also had various dysphagia where food feels like it gets stuck but I also have a hiaital hernia but I am unsure if it is related to that.

I have pain in my legs - especially my foot which is flat recently and I noticed the back of one of my ankles is a little smaller than the other side. I also have been having cracking and popping in my knees fingers and various other joints. The left side of my ankle hurts to walk as well. A lot of pain in my neck at times too around my thyroid and in the muscles between my collarbone and sternum.

I also have ear pain at times, ringing in my ears as well as some weakness when lifting heavy things, especially. I have been somewhat forgetful of things as well and definitely fatigued. I have pain all over that spreads randomly and bad head pain that feels like a sharp pain only for a couple of seconds here and there and in my head too a lot.

I'm really worried, I can't sleep at night or do anything. I hope that this board can give me some answers or at least some friendly tips or advice because I am very very scared. Thank you.

Does this sound like ALS?

Last edited:
Not a single thing in your post sounds remotely like ALS to me, and everything about your doctor visits and tests points completely away from ALS as well.

Please put this one off the table and let the neurologist work with you to find what it is.

It does not sound at all like ALS. The pain, numbness, and tingling point away from ALS. Then the negative EMG cinches the deal —- you’re clear of ALS.

In terms of what else might be going on, I’d encourage you to keep working with the neurologist that you like. Best of luck.

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS. You may want to have a look at diabetic neuropathy. ALS effects muscles, a collapsed arch is ligaments weakening. Again leading back to diabetic neuropathy. You need not worry about ALS.
Vincent

Thanks so much for your reply. I also have been having a lot of pain and twitching as well but I assume this is probably related to something else too.

I hope that you are doing okay considering the circumstances of the diagnosis. I wish you all the very, very best.

yep 3 strikes and you are out - no ALS seen by 3 senior members :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back