Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
California
City
Redondo beach
Hello everyone , nice to meet you guys! Anyways my mom has als , as far a son we know it's not familial , however over the last two months I've had some really weird symptoms , it started with my bicep spasming out on my right arm for about a minute , ever since my bicep has felt sore and tired, about a month after the bicep thing my forearm started feeling tired and achy as well , then now my hand feels weaker, things in my right hand (doninant) feel heavier than the my do in my left hand , I have twitching all over my body ( lots of anxiety) but I just had a pretty constant twitch ( 5 secs firing 5 times in my bicep on the affected arm? Is this how als starts ? I went to see my gp twice now and both times he's dismissed my concerns , finally on my second time he referred me to physical therapy for tennis elbow , idk why since it's my whole arm and not my elbow , hoping maybe I can get the physical therapist to refer me to a nuero or someone who knows more than a gp since my gp won't give me a referral ? My question is what are the odds of me getting als if my moms is sporadic? ( no ones done any gene testing ) also do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone else ? I'm a 29 year old male , type 1 diabetic , extremely active up until this arm thing started , any input is greatly appreciated and thank you !

I'm so sorry for your mum's diagnosis.

I would suggest you spend as much time with her as you can - be with her, help however you can, and maybe you will understand something of this disease and bring her some comfort.

Please also read the post titled read BEFORE posting as it has all your answers.
Please also use formatting I could hardly read your post.

All the best, I'm sure your doctors are spot on.

Sorry about your mom. Undoubtedly seeing her ill is very stressful for you. Your chances of getting ALS are still extremely low —- probably not much higher than if your mom didn’t have ALS.

Twitching is common and nonspecific. In the absence of muscle function failure, you are not describing anything that would raise suspicion of ALS in yourself. Perceived weakness is not the same as failure.

Thank you Karen , just that took a little weight off my chest and I appreciate the kind words

Weird symptoms help2

Hello Everyone , couple of question, first of all my mother has ALS as far as we know its sporadic, however over the last 3 months ive had twitching all over my body, and my right arm and hand are both feeling tired (like ive been using them alot) even though i havent for two months, my gp says im fine and wont refer me to a nuero, I believe i have some hand atrophy in hypothenar part of my hand , does this seem like ALS to anyone ? what are the chances of inheriting sporadic ALS? Thanks guys!

I am sorry your mom has ALS. Nevertheless, when asking about your own symptoms as an undiagnosed person you are required to abide by the rules for all DIHALS. Stay on one thread and do not post out of the dihals subforum or on the threads of other dihals

Mod note: Moved post. Please stay on your open thread. It helps keep all the info in one easily accessible place for the members here.
There are three pinned posts at the top of the DIHALS subforum that provide lots of info and may help you a bit with navigating this forum.

My apologies i was struggling a little figuring out the format of the site! Thanks for your help

By now you have read the sticky posts stuck to the top of this "Do I Have ALS" sub-forum.

So you know you don't have any reason to think you might be getting ALS.

Believe your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back