Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AL
City
Mobile
First time posting and i just want to thank everyone for offering their advice to all of us with questions, I greatly appreciated any feedback. Feb 28, I started off with both calves aching only when i woke up in the morning. Went to my PCP and did vitamin deficiency and Lyme’s disease blood work, all came back normal. A week later I had twitching threw my whole body. As of today I have twitching only in my lower, both sides but prodominatly my left leg and only when body is sitting or laying down. My left calf (front and back), hamstring, and hip ache / is painful. My left calf feels like it tires quicker. I’m a father of a five year old and google has led me to believe that I have early symptoms of Als. I didn’t know where else to turn before going back for a follow up appt. thank you and God Bless.

It doesn't sound anything like ALS to me. Usually clinical weakness is the first thing that happens.

Continue to work with your doctor and please ignore Google. It's no substitute for a physical exam.

Thank you for the reply, I am just concerned that the pain/aches/ and beginning onset of muscle fatigue in my left leg (particularly my calf)is a precourser to clinical weakness, Along with the muscle twitches.

I also noticed a very slight muscle twitch on my left calf, that I saw but didn’t feel twitch. I am extremely worried. Possibly worrying my self sick. Any advice is greatly needed and appreciated. Thank you all.

Best continue with seeing a doctor and working with them to track down the potential causes for your symptoms. There are so many reasons for twitches and pain.

With regards to Dr Google- it's also responsible for people thinking they have lung cancer because of a cough or a brain tumor because of a headache. A real live doctor and not a search engine or strangers on the internet will help you more.

Is seeing twitches but not feeling them a bad sign? I’m sorry I just don’t know where else to turn at midnight and it’s really scaring me.

Shawn, twitching and aching in and of themselves are not symptoms of ALS. ALS is not even a concern unless a muscle is not functioning. E.g. inability to stand on one’s toes or one’s heels or unexplained episodes of falling would be examples of muscle function failure.

Achy, burning muscles can represent overuse, injury, stress, dehydration or metabolic problems, and occasionally orthopedic issues. Usually those symptoms are short-lived. If they persist, keep working with your doctor. Twitching is common and nonspecific. Stress, anxiety and muscle overuse can contribute to twitching.

Bottom line: you don’t present with symptoms of ALS.

I’m sorry to bother everyone again, I was just hoping to get a little more advice. So since my last post, all the weakness feeling and much of the twitching in my legs has gone away.

What’s new is that it went to my left arm, where I experienced a heavy and weak feeling as well, that weakness went away as well.

Now what I am experiencing twitching primarily in my arms but seldom, also is aches and pains in both hands/wrists. My hands have not cramped, but the center of my palms and the muscle between my thumb and index finger have a cramp type of feeling. Is that something I should go back to my gp for.
Little side note I went to my doctor and explained what I was experiencing and asked if we should schedule a visit with a neurologist, he didn’t physically exam me and said no. (He is a military doctor)

Thank you for any feedback and God bless you all.

Shawn, only a doctor can provide real feedback based on a clinical exam and your reported symptoms. If you don't feel like your doctor helped you, either make another appointment or see another one. You don't appear to be experiencing the ALS pattern of symptoms, so this forum can't really provide you with the kind of information you need about what it is that you may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back