Other
Country
NE
State
Netherlands
City
Rotterdam
Hi everyone,

I want your opinions in my case. I am a 25 yo male, living in Netherlands and for the past 2 months i have been experiencing some symptoms. I know it is almost impossible to have als at my age with no family history, but the anxiety these past months is creating other problems in my life.

2 months ago I returned from my christmas vacation, and after cleaning my house for a bit, i felt my feet really cold and went to bed, since i was going to start my new job in 2 days and did not want to be sick. I woke up in the middle of the night, and i couldnt move my LEFT arm (from shoulder to fingers) for a couple of minutes (1 or 2). I panicked since this had never happened to me ever before and for some strange reason i considered the possibility i had ALS (yes i now know that this is not even close to ALS, but i was ignorant). The next day my LEFT arm was feeling strange and for 2-3 days i was feeling i could not move my thumb and index finger properly. So i did what nobody should do and started googling about ALS.

A few days later, my LEFT arm stopped having any issue, but then my RIGHT arm begin presenting all sorts of problems that have continued since then. The two main problems are my dexterity at my right hand, and my strength in my right arm. Additionally, i have started having body wide fasciculations.

More specifically, i think i am getting clumsier with my hand; when i hold my phone it feels strange and it is different between my left and right hand, when i try to button my shirt, it is much easier on my other hand. I can still pick up my keys, i can still type, i can still write but it seems like these tasks have become more difficult. Another symptom i had is that after being exposed to cold temperatures, i find it hard to type in my phone, and my right arm takes almost 30mins to recover.

Regarding my arm weakness, i don't think its clinical weakness but it is also much weaker than my left arm. I can lift objects above my head, but when i dry my hair my right harm gets instantly tired.

A month ago, a new symptom appeared: While i was returning from work, i felt my right leg get insanely tired (as if i have run 20KMS), while i was just walking casually. The feeling originated behind the knee and it hasnt improved since. I can still walk, jump, climb stairs but i have a strange sensation in my leg and i find the tasks more difficult.

When the new symptom appeared i went to my GP to have me examined and i explained him all my symptoms and concerns. He did a standard examination, testing my reflexes (Which were normal), having me touch my nose with eyes closed, stand on one foot, squeeze his finger, and he concluded nothing is wrong with me, and there is no need to see a neurologist, since its stress related. Although this mitigated my concerns, the symptoms got worse since then.

My arm is getting clumsier (or at least it feels like it); and my leg is getting weaker. Simultaneously, for the past month, light appears to be brighter than it used to be (i know it has no connection to als, but i am simply listing my symptoms), especially at the street lights. Finally, i occasionally have headaches and my twitching is now focused mainly on the two affected limbs (i.e. right arm right leg).

My parents (who are also doctors) and friends say its all in my mind, but the anxiety is keeping me awake at night, constantly testing my strength, comparing my muscles etc. I am trying to button my shirt using just one hand, and the left arm (non--dominant) gets the job done, while the right is having issues.

To summarize my long post, i do not have muscle atrophy, i don't have hyperreflexia, i do have fasciculations, and i dont really have (clinical) weakness, even though i have problems with the fine movements in my hands. I know that it is unlikely to have ALS but this is a rabbithole that is hard to get out of. Any advice is more than welcome.

Sorry for the long post, and i do thank you for taking the time to read this.

While I sympathize with you and your experience, an ALS forum is not for you. I can't say if it's strictly anxiety or if something else is going on, but you won't find any answers here. This is really good news.

I do recommend you continue to visit with a doctor to try to work out what the issues are. I also recommend you see someone who can help you work through your anxiety over your symptoms. This is not a dismissal of your symptoms, but a recommendation you get help with figuring out which symptoms are due to anxiety and which are due to something else. Rest assured, what you have posted above is not following a pattern that says "ALS".

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back