Learn about ALS
Country
Us
State
Fl
City
Spring Hill
Hello, all!
Let me start by saying that I admire the strength and care that you all seem to show through what can only lightly be described as a trying time.
Truly, you are all an inspiration to people suffering, and those whom have even the smallest questions and feelings of (possible) ALS/MND.
I’ve read many, many posts on here and still have questions regarding my own health... I’m trying to make a doctors appointment now despite having no insurance...and am doing research.

To start, my name is Ryan. I’m 35/m and have two daughters. I’ve had one instance in my family of ALS on my fathers side (his father, my grandfather)

About a year ago I noticed that sometimes while speaking I would suddenly have what can be described as a spasm in my tongue and chin/lower lip area. It seemed to really get bad in stressful situations, or when I was lacking sleep.
It went away completely on its own for a while and reappeared about a month and a half ago. It’s usually paired with a bit of confusion for a moment. A lot like a “soft reset” and I’m usually able to continue about more or less normally.
It comes and goes with the days and it really didn’t seem that pressing to me until I started having strange twitching starting in my thumbs. They’re rather quick, and only “twitch” once and then are calm for between about 1 and 5 minutes. A week or so after that had started, I noticed them throughout my body. My feet, my abdomen, shoulder, and my face once in a while. Again, not constant twitching, just a quick, small jolt and then nothing for a period of time. However it all lasts all day and has been progressing(?) for about a month.
The speech thing is my prime concern, (making to me the possibility of bulbar onset?) while speaking, I’ll feel almost like a computer running out of RAM and all the sudden I’ll trip over a word, or my tongue will kind of lock up for a moment, and I stop talking. Again, I’m usually able to pick up quite quickly after that, but I’ll feel a little confused, likely due to the anxiety it causes.
I’ve got little or no “perceived weakness” maybe a little stiffness here and there, but nothing that bad, and no clinical weakness as far as I can tell.
My neck is often stiff feeling, but usually feels better through the day.
My left eyelid seems to be at it again, and that twitch, unlike the others is pretty constant. It was gone for about a month.
Here and there, I’ll feel a headache or a slightly “off kilter” feel in my head.
In the past, I’ve had health anxiety before, but a lot of this had started before I even knew what ALS really WAS.
I’d be interested in hearing anyone’s thoughts about any of this, or perhaps if I’m just being crazy... as you can imagine, I’m very afraid and hoping to get some kind of feedback.
I know that you guys probably are sick of answering questions that usually end up not even being related to ALS symptoms, and the amount of hypochondriatical stuff that you must see has got to me alarming. Sorry if this is just me being silly... but I have few people to ask or talk to about it and obviously, you all would be the best informed.
I appreciate any useful things you all can contribute.
Thank you, and good luck and Godspeed to you all.

nope and nope again - I strongly suggest you read the post titled read BEFORE posting - it's really well written to answer your questions.

I do admit my concentration lagged and I skimmed some of the long text, but I didn't notice anything about seeing a doctor - that would be a great place to start, but no way there is anything even a tiny bit like ALS (my husband was bulbar onset). All the best :)

Thank you for the quick response!
You were actually the person I’d hoped would respond, as I’d seen many of your other posts and comments.
If I may ask, what type of speech difficulties ARE sort of keynote to bulbar? I’ve been looking around for a more direct answer, and there may not actually be one, but I figured you would really be the best to ask.
Again, thank you for your help and reassurance! My health anxiety thanks you as well! :)

You would sound like you are drunk and slur your words. Others would notice it and ask you if you were drinking.

One more thing, and I again apologize as I’m sure you all have more important things to do than answer questions that you probably all have had to answer 10000 times... this evening, I noticed that the arches of my feet have that “worms under the skin” like twitch going on (I have no idea how long, as I can’t even really feel it) is that... a bad sign? Again, no real weakness, as I can stand on my tippy toes for quite some time with no issues... just had noticed it and I know it would keep me awake at night if I didn’t ask. Thanks again, all of you, for your input

Vertigo, is there a reason you have not visited with a medical professional who can examine you in person? Once we start getting into the "one more thing" territory, it becomes a bit of an issue. While the people here are super helpful when it comes to answering questions, there comes a time to sign off here and visit with a doctor to help with your concerns. Two incredibly knowledgeable people have answered you, and it's been recommended you see a doctor. That would be the best place to start now you've been given your answers.

My apologies... I know your time is valuable, and I appreciate all the help given. Hope all is as well as can be with you all, and that things will improve someday. Did not in any way mean to upset anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back