Reason
Other
Country
Dk
State
City
Hærsholm
Hi
im 41 years old, and my grandfarther is dead because of als. he dead when he was about 70 and it startet with the speak and eating.

I have the last 2 weeks had muscel tonus and tendernes and the feeling that both arms where sleeping aswell. alle the symptoms are bilateral (bothsides and are in both the arms and legs and in the same mucsels of both the lowerlegs and forarms. I allso had som muscel around the body that have som small facikulation( some of the muscel working a littel bit / tics)

COuld this be als - im worred because it could be genetical. its been going on forabout 1,5 weeks now
Best
Frederik (sorry for my bad english)

Frederik, it is very unlikely that you have ALS, based both on the genetics you describe and your symptoms. Even if your grandfather had a genetic form of ALS, which is unlikely given that he died at 70, very seldom would it skip a generation and then strike you much younger. So you put "very rare" in one sentence twice, and there seems no reason for concern in that direction.

However, I encourage you to see your physician, who can advise you if there is something to explore further.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the reply - its very nice to hear and that you put the time for the reply . it have make me sleep very bad for 1 week, and reading on the internet diddent help me at all only make me sleep even worse - it all seemed to fit!

Hi again , sorry to write again - i still have The same symptoms AS discribed above - and Aldi feel problem by svellow ( not water and food but but mouth water ) and feel my voice turn diffrent more rusty .... i hope its my brain playing me i trick but cant stop thinking of this - is this not Als with The above and this symptomes its whitin a month all has startet

It does not sound like ALS to me. Your limb symptoms did not and now you worry about bulbar but it doesn’t sound like it either.

It is quite common here for people to start worrying about limb concerns and then quickly move to bulbar worries. Yes the mind can play tricks

Laurie suggested you see your doctor. If you have not please do. If you have follow his or her recommendations. Only an in person exam can give you proper feedback.

Regarding your concern of FALS Laurie put it very well. I will add I am typical FALS. In my lifetime I have lost 5 families to my genetic defect. There are 2 of us living with the effects currently.

It does not sound like ALS to me. Your limb symptoms did not and now you worry about bulbar but it doesn’t sound like it either.

It is quite common here for people to start worrying about limb concerns and then quickly move to bulbar worries. Yes the mind can play tricks

Laurie suggested you see your doctor. If you have not please do. If you have follow his or her recommendations. Only an in person exam can give you proper feedback.

Regarding your concern of FALS Laurie put it very well. I will add I am typical FALS. In my lifetime I have lost 5 families to my genetic defect. There are 2 of us living with the effects currently.

Thanks for useing the time for to reply. im sorry for your family history. My hyperkodic (hope it is ) make me a little bit of shame of my self ... but the mind is powerfull - i havent sleept well for 2 weekes because of worries - but my grandfathers symptoms was allso very slow in pregress not like mine whitin 4 weeks
all the best
Frederik

Sorry to write again, just got a time to a nerolog ( but the waiting time is long, in the time i stil have facics / tics in both lower leg (in diffrent mucels ) and the quards and somtimes in the glut and abdomminal and neck. but must in the lower leg and it is constant. I allso find out that i have hyperreflekses ( i diddet my self - im a physio so hav a little knowhow) and get really afreaid - my qusiton is - if it is fasic and its ALS - whould it start in both legs? would it allso be in the quad an some times other places in the body or whould it only be in 1 or to mucels and is there weakness? i have no weackness
im so sorry to write again but it is really takeing so much energy form me

Frederik.
No. It won't start in both legs.
It won't move around your body, as you describe.
Twitching means nothing. Twitching happens to many people for many reasons.
I see stress and nervous anxiety in you.
You should see an old medical doctor while you are waiting for the neurology appointment.
There is NO reason for you to think about ALS.

Thanks once againe - im so sorry to waste you time , but it really helps me that you replay and give me some good nights sleep. its unbelivebel that the mind once again can play so many triks and make the life a hell whitout a reason - and especially to write about it on a place like this where people really are deadly sick. once againe thanks and hope the best for all in here whit this sickness!

Frederik.
No. It won't start in both legs.
It won't move around your body, as you describe.
Twitching means nothing. Twitching happens to many people for many reasons.
I see stress and nervous anxiety in you.
You should see an old medical doctor while you are waiting for the neurology appointment.
There is NO reason for you to think about ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back